Wedge advice please

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
ok, have offloaded my irons and got the Nike full cavity & sold my Vokey 54 & 60 deg

at the mo all I have is my pw which is 45 degree and a 56 degree yonex that feels like swinging a lead bar

I need probably a 52 and 58 but with so many makes and models really not sure which will suit me. I have a nike sv 52 coming but fancy the VR wedges but really got on with my old CG10 60deg

are they all much of a muchness or is it just down to personal taste?

thanks in advance, also open to suggestions with regards lofts as 52/58 is not written in stone as used to carry 46, 52, 56 and 60 (short game is pretty pucker, just shite off the tee)

T

thecraw

Wedges are personal, like putters you will usually know what you like as soon as you pick it up.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think wedges tend to be abit like putter really. One mans meat etc. I like a wedge with a light feel. But then again I often dont put any extra wedges in the bag, just use the PW &SW that came with the set. Open and close the face to suit the shot, or grip down the shaft. Tend t go top end heavy.

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
G1BBO, I think you'd like the Nike SV Tour wedges, they're cracking sticks pal.

Have a swing with them, just make sure you get the right bounce for your swing.

I had the 56 & 60 alone for a long time, the 60 is a bounce of 10 and it was my favourite club around the green. 56 had a bounce of 14, and is a guaranteed shank or duff, just disliked it.

I then bought a 52, with a bounce of 10, and I bloody love it. Thinking about swapping the 60 for a 58... but probably not worth the effort.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I believe they do an A wedge (approach) that is either 50 or 52 degree, sand wedge and lob wedge in my irons but not sure where I could get hold of them, the S & L wedges are on ebay but 49.99 each!!!

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
G1bbo might i suggest a wedge fitting. There is a guy at hylands park by the name of lee porter. He is an exceptional fitter looking after a few tour players and has wedges from the cast custom variety right up to the miura andvegas of the wedge world. He can analyse you for loft and bounce options, shafts and spin rates and put something specificto your game in front of you working within your budget.

Its not too far from you being in chelmsford.

Last edited:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
not sure I am consistant enough for a fitting Jonny but may well consider it in a year or 2 when/if the h.c & swing are deserving of it

I am gonna get a 58 degree SV giving me pw 45deg, 52 deg gw and 58 lw/sw

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Considering he doesnt charge for fitting its well worth it. Even at the level i play at its made a huge difference to my short game. And i thought i had the right equipment for me!

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lee Porter knows his stuff and is well worth a visit especially since he doesnt charge

I think the best way is spend some time thinking about:
1) How you need to use your wedges? Types of shots you play? Distances you like...etc
2) The lofts and bounces you need to enable to you to play those shots and to give you a nice spacing between clubs
3) Then go down to somewhere that lets you try the clubs on the range and hit every wedge that you can get your hands on

You will then know the answer of whats right for you

I would also say that even though some people recommend only 2 wedges, I think 3 for higher handicap players is a good call only because full shots are much easier. They are your scoring clubs, carrying an extra wedge will usually make a bigger difference than carrying an extra 3 iron/5 wood