Wearing a gilet

sunshine

Visit site
The only downside for me is if it's a shiny outer material, the bag strap slips on the shoulders if you're carrying, which is more likely in winter.

This is such a nuisance. It was ok with my older bags where the straps had a rougher fabric material, but now I've got a waterproof bag the straps are also waterproof and just slide off.

Doodle

Visit site
I always wear one.
I have several of them, they keep my core temp up (torso) whilst leaving my arms free.
I feel too restricted with a sleeved jacket on & if my torso is warm, my arms don't feel the cold.
I am about to order a heated Gillet / Bodywarmer from Amazon, they last up to 12 hours & have various heat settings.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A good body warmer is great, and perfect for golf

Uniqlo sell them in a few different colours and they can be rolled up and packed away in small places.

You can get thicker ones too, like North Face but I wouldn't wear those for golf.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
[/QUOTE]
So you've never considered one, they seem pointless and you'd want your sleeves covered if it's cold, but now someone at the club wore one and now you're going to buy one?????

Have your own opinions and buy what suits you (sounds like a jumper is what you want) rather than follow what everyone else is doing!
Not really. I said in principle I don't see the point of wearing a gilet but speaking to a guy who wore one I told him what I thought and he told me I was wrong. So I thought I'd ask a bunch of golfers on a forum for a second opinion.
As it turns out, it seems that I've been missing out and think I'd enjoy the feeling of having free arms.
Perhaps it's unusual to ask such a question but I didn't want to fork out £100 for it to sit in my wardrobe. Thanks to everyone for their help

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
???
[/QUOTE]
Obviously, completely your choice to spend whatever you wish on your clothing ?, but I think the first couple I bought were a Sunderland then a Cutter and Buck for about 25 quid each.

By the way, seems like a perfect forum question to me ?‍♂️[/QUOTE]

I have to say that it was my intention to buy a £100 one as it fit like a glove. But luckily there was the one on ebay used so I baught that and saved a few quid

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm going to buck the trend...don't like 'em.
Makes me feel like I've got a life jacket on.
What sort of jumpers/tops do you guys wear that inhibit your swing?
Mine keep it in some semblance of order....
Plus I think they look naff.
:giggle::cool:

Couldn't have summed it up better. Hate them and prefer something far more conventional

TigerBear

Visit site
I have 6 in the wardrobe. From the full zip gillets to the quarter zip vest tops.

Love them, adds an extra layer over your top to keep you warmer in the winter, and didn't you know it makes you look like a tour pro! :LOL:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Couldn't have summed it up better. Hate them and prefer something far more conventional

Read this, went to make coffee, took drink, read it again and sprayed it everywhere

You do know that there's vids of you on t'internet wearing some pretty unconventional golf 'layers' (sweaterettes I think they're called) :sneaky::D

on topic, I have a gilet, just a cheapo from sports direct. Wear it to travel to golf on those winter mornings when there's a nip in the air until sun warms up, don't think i've ever hit a ball wearing it yet. Does the job though

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a couple. One is a Glenmuir that is also good for light rain - not waterproof but the rain doesn't soak in. I often wear it over a base layer so that keeps my arms warm and doesn't cause a restriction for the swing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Read this, went to make coffee, took drink, read it again and sprayed it everywhere

You do know that there's vids of you on t'internet wearing some pretty unconventional golf 'layers' (sweaterettes I think they're called) :sneaky::D

on topic, I have a gilet, just a cheapo from sports direct. Wear it to travel to golf on those winter mornings when there's a nip in the air until sun warms up, don't think i've ever hit a ball wearing it yet. Does the job though

Don't even know what a sweaterette is

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Body warmer is a Perthshire "fermer's" attire.

Golfers wear "gilets".
This is what we wear on the farm...

RjYd5tt.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This is what we wear on the farm...

RjYd5tt.jpg

Nice, I could replace the cartridge belt with a ball belt so I looked like a golfer, 2 iron slung under arm, it's the future.
(At least it would be if Tyrrell Hatton wore a Nike branded one.)

Last edited: