Wearing a gilet

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What did we ever do without them?
I use the uniqlo ones for golf. Really light, warm enough and much cheaper than a posh label.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I wear one because I hate my arms being bulky with too much clothing, and don't like loose sleeves around my wrists when gripping the club. In the coldest months I wear a baselayer (tight) which covers my arms, then a polo shirt and a gilet and I'm as warm as I need to be. If I wear a jumper I end up faffing about rolling the sleeves up all day so there's no point. What the guy in the OP said was right, if your core is warm you don't really notice your arms being cold. I don't even wear trousers unless it's below 9°c as my legs don't really feel the cold as much either.
Edit: that means I wear shorts, not just walk round in my pants.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Personally, I love a gilet. A few years ago not so ‘cool’ but they grew on me and I’ve got a few now. Windproof one, quilted one, warm ones for winter.

Diamond

Visit site
Bought a Puma Gilet last winter and I never have it off. When golfing I may take it off after a hole or 2 if mild.
When it rains heavy I swap it for my Adidas waterproof jacket. I can happily wear shorts polo and filet when early morning and a nip in the air.

petema99

Visit site
have one on right now! not a fan of wearing them on the course though - it's either warm enough for just a shirt or cold enough for a jumper for me

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
Do they come with hoods? ?

DBlade Men's Technical Softshell hooded Vest Gilet, windproof, water resistant

1604562984856.pngI bought this one on Ebay - absolutely love it though havent had the need to use the hood on the course yet! Couple of negative comments in the Spike bar though :)-

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Bought a Puma Gilet last winter and I never have it off. When golfing I may take it off after a hole or 2 if mild.
When it rains heavy I swap it for my Adidas waterproof jacket. I can happily wear shorts polo and filet when early morning and a nip in the air.

+1 for the Puma gilet. Received one as a birthday prezzie last year, probably my most worn golf item over the last 12 months. Even wear indoors during the day if chilly, saves putting the heating on for longer periods when working at home.

Also have a Proquip wind gilet, another good piece of kit if you want a bit of lighter protection that’s shower proof too.

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
Sorry for the stupid question but I'd thought I'd ask you lot before I make a purchase. I've never considered a gilet as I've always thought they seem pointless. If it's cold enough to wear one surely you want sleeves too? And then there's people that wear them with a t-shirt???????? A guy who joined us today was wearing one and he said he wears one to keep his body warm and your arms don't feel it. Any thoughts before I buy one please.

At the moment I wear three layers. T shirt, jumper, wind stopper

So you've never considered one, they seem pointless and you'd want your sleeves covered if it's cold, but now someone at the club wore one and now you're going to buy one?????

Have your own opinions and buy what suits you (sounds like a jumper is what you want) rather than follow what everyone else is doing!

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
So you've never considered one, they seem pointless and you'd want your sleeves covered if it's cold, but now someone at the club wore one and now you're going to buy one?????

Have your own opinions and buy what suits you (sounds like a jumper is what you want) rather than follow what everyone else is doing!

To be fair to the OP, he's questioing the opinion of the new club member regarding the advice about the arms not feeling the cold. He's not saying he's just going to buy one. I wear a Gilet all the time and unless freezing, I would agree that the arms tend not to feel the cold. Perhaps the amount of swing compensates but certainly the freedom of movement helps

Tommy10

Visit site
I have an Under Armour one, really like wearing it while playing. Very comfortable and leaves my poor swing uninhibited.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm going to buck the trend...don't like 'em.
Makes me feel like I've got a life jacket on.
What sort of jumpers/tops do you guys wear that inhibit your swing?
Mine keep it in some semblance of order....
Plus I think they look naff.
:giggle::cool:

D

Deleted member 3432

I have a sleeveless wind top, wear it most of the summer to keep my back warm as its hardly ever warm enough to play in just a polo shirt.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Big fan of the Gilllett, on cold days I wear a thermal base layer which is enough to keep the arms warm, then a polo and the gillett on top.