Wearing a gilet

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry for the stupid question but I'd thought I'd ask you lot before I make a purchase. I've never considered a gilet as I've always thought they seem pointless. If it's cold enough to wear one surely you want sleeves too? And then there's people that wear them with a t-shirt???????? A guy who joined us today was wearing one and he said he wears one to keep his body warm and your arms don't feel it. Any thoughts before I buy one please.

At the moment I wear three layers. T shirt, jumper, wind stopper

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I often wear one.

Often in winter it goes under a jacket as an extra layer as said to keep the body warm particularly my back.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
No different from a sleeveless jumper, does exacly what it says on the tin, keeps the torso warm while leaving the arms free to swing unhindered
Well, that's why I want one. I just think if its cold enough to put a layer on over my t-shirt then I want to include the arms too. Same goes for putting something on over a long sleeve top too

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
My only negative about them is the word itself! For years I wore them for walking and called them hard g, hard t GILLETS...seems it should be with a French flair and soft g and soft t GEEELAIS :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
another convert here, have a windproof GG one i paid £30 for in the sales that I wear constantly through autumn winter and spring, especially walking the dog! couple of lighter ones I use in spring/summer

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I've got a few. Prefer them to long sleeves.

Have during winter simply worn an underarmour and then gilet

Have some branded ones, also found the cheap ones at primark are decent too. Cheap padding. So not too bulky.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was given a golf one for Christmas 2-3 years ago, Island Green. I had a face like a slapped backside, I thought it was awful. It sat in a cupboard for a year but last year I decided to put it on one chilly autumn morning.

I went for custard with my humble pie ?. Absolute revelation. Keeps your body lovely and cosy but has no impact on your swing.

It isn't the answer every time but definitely worth having in your golfing wardrobe.

Last edited: