Water Resistant Trousers - any users?

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have seen that quite a few companies are offering a 'water resistant' finish on their golf trousers and I find myself really tempted by the thought of something thats more like a chino / trouser than a waterproof overtrouser.

Has anyone got a pair and care to comment on how well the actually work?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I have a pair of Under Armour ones. They are exactly what they say......water resistant NOT water proof. They will keep you dry in a light shower but that is about it. One good benefit of the UA ones is they are heavier weight so a bit warmer for chilly days.

LinksTurf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have UA Armourstorm trousers bought a few months ago. They are trousers, not overtrousers and are 100% waterproof. Not yet played in rain so bad to fully test them to their limits, but have certainly kept me completely dry so far.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Got a puma and nike pair, both warm on a cold winters day , shower resistant and also very good at keeping the wind chill out.

My nike ones are about 4/5 years old and have started to fade slightly but will be replaced with another puma pair as the are slightly better quality.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
HID has a black Dunlop pair that he's had for two years. They've also got a fleece style lining. He swears by them.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have some under armour ones, and they are showerproof, as said above.

Nice trousers but I wouldn't want to be out in them when it's hammering down.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've been getting loads of emails from different online stores and Stromberg. Seems to be the latest thing but if it's more than a shower chances are the waterproofs will be on, especially in winter so not sure I'd want to pay top price for this "technology"

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for the replies folks.

I only really imagine they'd be any use for showers rather than keeping out a steady, heavy rainfall.

I quite like the look of the Ping Typhoon trousers but they are very pricey and not sure how great they would be.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been getting loads of emails from different online stores and Stromberg. Seems to be the latest thing but if it's more than a shower chances are the waterproofs will be on, especially in winter so not sure I'd want to pay top price for this "technology"
I have 3 pairs of the stromberg ones,i think they are great but hid thinks otherwise,she says terrible to wash and iron due to the finish,women always moaning.

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I pre-ordered the new Stromberg ones at £50. Thought that they might be worth a look as the ones at £90/100ish are too much for me!

Anyone comment on the fit of Strombergs normally?

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you ain't a label snob, I am pretty sure I saw some weatherproof thermal lined Chino trousers in the M&S Active range, I have the Weatherproof shorts and the way they come out of the washing machine points towards them even resistant to Ariel liquid.
Been caught in a major shower and my Calvins were dry as a bone and everything else was sodden.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
If you ain't a label snob, I am pretty sure I saw some weatherproof thermal lined Chino trousers in the M&S Active range, I have the Weatherproof shorts and the way they come out of the washing machine points towards them even resistant to Ariel liquid.
Been caught in a major shower and my Calvins were dry as a bone and everything else was sodden.

Think you'll find that most, but not all, protective clothing states not to use softeners or liquids as it affects the protective layers embedded in the cloth. I wash mine separately in a cooler wash.

The full waterproofs and a change of shoes are coming out this morning for the first time in 6 months by looks of things :(