watching your partner putt ????

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played in a two ball scramble yesterday and the two guys we were drawn with stood right behind each other whenever they putted. and i mean right behind, on every put.

we were not sure you were allowed to do this... didn't mention anything at the time though we dropped hints... big hints.

so are you allowed to stand behind you playing partner in better ball matches?

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
Played in a two ball scramble yesterday and the two guys we were drawn with stood right behind each other whenever they putted. and i mean right behind, on every put.

we were not sure you were allowed to do this... didn't mention anything at the time though we dropped hints... big hints.

so are you allowed to stand behind you playing partner in better ball matches?

From Rule 14.2

b. Positioning of Caddie or Partner Behind Ball
A player must not make a stroke with his caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie positioned on or close to an extension of the line of play or line of putt behind the ball.
Exception: There is no penalty if the player’s caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie is inadvertently located on or close to an extension of the line of play or line of putt behind the ball.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Mmm, interesting they did it on every hole too and usually sank the 2nd put as, well they knew the line.

The pair of them didn't know how to drop a ball either, they didn't find a single fairway and it was there home course. Drops were done at waist hight at most again pretty much every shot expt putting.

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well, reading up on this it seems like it is against the rules to stand behind the putt in scrambles. I didn't even know it was against the rules in normal team play - although I did know you can't deliberately manipulate your putt so that you can putt down the same line as your partner so he can get the line. I just thought it was rub of the green if you both happened to be on the same line. Ah well, you live and learn.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well, reading up on this it seems like it is against the rules to stand behind the putt in scrambles. I didn't even know it was against the rules in normal team play - although I did know you can't deliberately manipulate your putt so that you can putt down the same line as your partner so he can get the line. I just thought it was rub of the green if you both happened to be on the same line. Ah well, you live and learn.

Is it different in a scramble as I thought it was not a recognised Comp?

Indeed Scrambles are not a recognised form of the game from a Rules standpoint, so unless Conds of Comp specify 'otherwise Rules of Golf', there are no rules!

It's probably something the OP should have pointed out to their FCs - purely as a convention.

I'd be interested to see a reference to the rule about showing your Partner the line - apart from the one in the original 13!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My club's t/scram was on Saturday, and a sheet was left on display at the starters, drawing your attention to rule 14-2b. Very hard to police , same as amount of drives and drops each player take. That's why it should only be a fun day, with very small novelty prizes.:blah:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
... although I did know you can't deliberately manipulate your putt so that you can putt down the same line as your partner so he can get the line. I just thought it was rub of the green if you both happened to be on the same line. Ah well, you live and learn.

Hmmm..

I might be completely wrong but I'm not aware of anything specifically in the Rules to prevent this in 4 ball play. Never seen it done but I don't think it is actually illegal.

Apart from anything else how would you police it? Have I deliberately putted 6 feet past to get my ball on my partner's line or or is it my usual clumsy attempt to be agressive with my first putt?

Maybe one of the experts could advise.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mashie you ALWAYS come up with a balanced point of view and quote many decisions.

In my eyes you are one o the experts on here!

Thank you, that's very kind.

I'm not bad at finding things but would have to doff my cap to the likes of Colin, Duncan and Rulefan on the practical application.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
30-3f/6

Player Plays Away from Hole to Assist Partner

Q.In a four-ball competition, a player purposely putts away from the hole to a position slightly farther from the hole than the spot where his partner's ball lies and on the same line to the hole as his partner's ball. The player then putts towards the hole, and the roll of his ball is helpful to his partner in determining how much his putt will break, etc. Is such procedure contrary to the Rules?
A.Such procedure is contrary to the spirit of the game. In match play, in equity (Rule 1-4), the player should be disqualified for the hole and, since his action assisted his partner's play, the partner should incur the same penalty (Rule30-3f).
In stroke play, the player should incur a penalty of two strokes and, under Rule 31-8) the partner should incur the same penalty.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
30-3f/6

Player Plays Away from Hole to Assist Partner

Q.In a four-ball competition, a player purposely putts away from the hole to a position slightly farther from the hole than the spot where his partner's ball lies and on the same line to the hole as his partner's ball. The player then putts towards the hole, and the roll of his ball is helpful to his partner in determining how much his putt will break, etc. Is such procedure contrary to the Rules?
A.Such procedure is contrary to the spirit of the game. In match play, in equity (Rule 1-4), the player should be disqualified for the hole and, since his action assisted his partner's play, the partner should incur the same penalty (Rule30-3f).
In stroke play, the player should incur a penalty of two strokes and, under Rule 31-8) the partner should incur the same penalty.

The decision specifically states away from the hole to a point further than the other ball. Not sure why as I could putt towards the hole, but with the intent of getting my ball on the line between my partners ball and the hole. We could then decide that I putt first to show my partner the line. Does the same decision ruling apply? I assume so because were this to happen our opponents could concede my putt - thereby removing the opportunity for me to show my partner the line. But putting the onus back on the opponents to concede to counter my dubious tactics does not seem right.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The decision specifically states away from the hole to a point further than the other ball. Not sure why as I could putt towards the hole, but with the intent of getting my ball on the line between my partners ball and the hole. We could then decide that I putt first to show my partner the line. Does the same decision ruling apply? I assume so because were this to happen our opponents could concede my putt - thereby removing the opportunity for me to show my partner the line. But putting the onus back on the opponents to concede to counter my dubious tactics does not seem right.

I think 'away' is used to better demonstrate the point. The offence is really about the player not trying to get his ball into the hole in as few strokes as possible.