Was my post removed?

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dear Golf Monthly,

In regards to Med's post that has been removed I would like to hear or should I say read your reasons why you saw fit to do so without any contact or explanation to Med or the other members who had commented on this topic. This was not a malicious post meant to harm anyone it was mearly stating that the pro was a complete knob and deserved to be discussed.

I liken it to saying that the SLAZENGER K1 SPEED is a piece of 5hit and nobody should ever buy one: That is my opinion and I am entitled to it. You didn't see fit to remove the post where the mind coach got pelters for trying to drum up business for his little venture.

It used to be called FREE SPEECH !!!!!!!!!!!!

The members on here have been fair, honest and seem to with great integrity police themselves when it comes to topics getting out of hand and possibly going too far. The reason why is quite simple ... we are adults who have a right to say what we feel and discuss topics relevant to OUR forum. If the Pro wanted to defend himself he would have done the same thing the chap from ORKA GOLF did and come on here and inform us of the goals and ethic of his business and for that I have great respect for him.

You can try and say that it was possibly libelous but that is nonsense and I am quite sure any solicitor would agree.

My future as a contributor on this forum awaits your reply.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well said Madandra you can be our spokesperson from now on. I am really enjoying this forum as we are all on about golf and ig GM just willynilly pull posts I dont think thats fair. There are some great post's on here and I have received a few tips form some of them. I hope all the members keep posting. Maybe we should gand up on the GM police and beat him with the K1 Speed driver. I bet he'd think differently about pulling post's in future.........

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Well said madandra, thank you for voicing your support on this one.

I was really annoyed when this post disappeared as I myself, and seemingly nobody else on here thought it was offensive.

Obviously GM made no contact with me regarding this matter and that is a disgrace.

We are all big boys on here and if somebody was offended by the post I'm sure they would have said so and as always, we would have sorted it out ourselves.

As madandra says, there was surely nothing libelous in this post, no worse than some of the content of other posts which have not been removed.

Could there be a cronie of this pro behind the removal??? Maybee I'm being cynical as it would be just too much of a coincidence.

I still stand by my statements completely on this fact as the pro in question is simply a disgrace to the game, an utter tool.

Perhaps this post will be removed now too!!!

WELL COME ON THEM GM........ GIVE US YOUR REASONS FOR THIS REMOVAL!!!

I think myself amnd any contributors to my post deserve an explaination, without it why should I continue to post on the forum or indeed purchase the magazine?

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Guys

Really sorry for having to delete the post but mentioning the name of the professional meant we saw it to be libelous. This could have left both Golf Monthly and yourselves in trouble.

We see the forum as a fantastic place for discussion and opinion but abusing someone in their place of work is not something we want to risk leaving on the site.

clubchamp07 you are right there are some fantastic posts on the forum which we all enjoy reading. We hope you can see the reasoning behind the removal and continue to post.

Thanks

Paul

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I felt a little uneasy reading your post (even though it was well put and frank) and if it's gone, it might be safest.
I totally support the notion of having free speech, but sometimes we say too much and (even though you didn't mention any specifics) it would have been a quick bit of detective work to work out where and who you were talking about.
I contributed to a forum in the US for 3-4 years (on a work related topic) and in the end many members lost their right to post/reply because we were hinting too close to the mark on a specific person or organisation.
It's bad luck, but remember "even though the jury has been asked to disregard the comment, it's still been made and will exist in the minds of those who heard it". In other words, you time and effort were not in vain.

Dave

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
we are adults who have a right to say what we feel and discuss topics relevant to OUR forum.

Hate to be pedantic but it's actually Golf Monthly's forum...they just let us use it. They pay to host it and pay staff to administer it and while it's annoying to have a post pulled without warning, I can see why they don't want to take any chances when it comes to something that could be considered libelous.

As for the "free speech" argument, I've seen that used several times by irate forum users on different boards but I don't think it holds water. You have a right to your opinion but you don't have the right to expect GM to publish it for you.

Just my 2 cents...

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a fair point Mutlee and have to say I'm with you.

Anyway, let's be frank all we want to do is discuss golf and not get into any murky waters, surely it's not worth the trouble! I mean remember the Sheffield Wednesday fans being taken to court over their comments on BBC Fivelive?

Take a loo:

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=39208&c=1

It's amusing but not sure I want to get involved in that kind of thing!

tpred

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi jon,at least you got your point over and we can make up our own minds even if the post has been withdrawn.GM have probably nipped something in the bud which may have got out of hand.This is a great forum and i like to think ive made a few friends in the small time ive been on here and would hate to see the plug pulled. Perhaps at some stage we could all arrange a day out at some course that suits our locations.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Simple solution to this, it's GM's right to withdraw a post/thread but if it is withdrawn say so and say why.

That way we know the limits and peace and harmony are restored.

medway, identifying him by position and place of work is as good as naming him - not that he didn't need it!

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
That's a fair point viscount17 - we will be sure to let you know on the rare occasions we need to delete posts why we have done so.

Keep up the great posting all the way from middle earth!

Paul

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great point tpred, Maybe GM could pay for the day out for us at some famous course. Seeing as we all get along so well. I think everyone enjoys the natter on here and I like yourself like to think I've made some friends.
Everyone isn't going to agree but I haven't seen any blood spilt yet.

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tpred,

I think that would be a great idea, maybe the beginnings of the GM Golf Society, which they could do an article about charting our progress, much like the "PARROT" article in November's issue.

A day out would be a fantastic way to put names to faces and would provide some useful page filling potential for the magazine.

What does everyone think, and where would you all wish to play!! (see new post in same vain)