Was I Illegal?????

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
Whilst on holiday, we travelled from Hungary to Italy. At customs there was a sign showing exit for Shengen members. BIG WIDE OPEN EXIT. Seeing as we needed to catch a bus and time was at a premium, I marched the wife though it. No checks no nothing. What a waste of time this all is. Thing is though...how can you police it? Er...by checking passports? LOL!!!!! You gotta laugh eh? They didn't think this one though did they?

So, were we illegal whilst in Italy?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Assume you have a British passport .. the answer is no ..

airports with these exits, usually have it only in terminals that accepts planes from within schengen. Also your passport will have been checked at the departing airport

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
When our cruise ship docked at Naples, we decide to get the train to Sorento , sadly i had my pocket picked just as we got on the train.
Went to the police station to report it for the insurance'
First thing they asked for was our passports, which thankfully we had left locked in our room safe on the ship.
They said in broken but very stern English we shouldn't really have entered the country without carrying them with us.
But they relented slightly when we pointed out that the passports would also have been stolen.

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
Assume you have a British passport .. the answer is no ..

airports with these exits, usually have it only in terminals that accepts planes from within schengen. Also your passport will have been checked at the departing airport

Thinking about this. It was checked leaving Italy, twice, to come home, but I still had to do the customs carp in the UK. So that's that (bold) out the window.