Wanted: golfers to represent 'Team GM' in the Volvo Matchplay Championship

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Morning all

our friends at Volvo have given us free entry for 3 singles and 3 pairs into this year's Volvo Matchplay Championship so I'm looking for volunteers who fancy representing 'Team GM'

Last year we had some good showings with thecraw & JJF69 making the regional finals

If you’re up for representing GM this year please email me michael_harris@ipcmedia.com and include the following info
* Name
* Home Club
* Handicap
* Contact telephone number
* Whether you want to be considered for the pairs or singles. If you’re opting for the pairs you can pick a fellow forumers or just a mate who you play with at your club. You both just need to fulfil the entry criteria (below).

If you’re selected all you’ll need to do is report back on your progress to the forum and we’ll also include mini-reports of matches involving ‘Team GM’ players in the forum pages in the Spike Bar section of the magazine.

In a nutshell here's what the Volvo Matchplay Championship is all about....
  • It's open to all current golf club members who have an Active handicap
  • The draw is made on a regional basis to minimise traveling
  • Matches are played at home or opponents course – many courses offer courtesy
  • Up to four knockout matches played between June and end of September
  • Stroke allowance is ¾ difference in Better-Ball and full difference in Individual
  • Winners of four matches qualify for one of 8 regional finals in October
  • At least 44 golfers will then progress to the Grand Final at the luxurious Vale do Lobo resort on Portugal's Algarve coast in January 2013. The prize will include return flights, 5 nights accommodation, 5 rounds of golf including a practice round on the magnificent Royal Course and the spectacular Ocean Course. There are some great prizes on offer and the chance to become national champions!
  • The winning pair and individual at the Grand Final will qualify to play in the Volvo UK Final with the opportunity to qualify for the Volvo World Golf Challenge final (played at Fancourt, South Africa in Jan 2012) and the once in a lifetime experience of 'Playing with the Pros'
You can get more info here

A

Alex1975

Mike, I have a question. I have an active handicap as I did enough comps last year to make sure of that but I am not currently a club member. I would think this counts me out, does it?

Thanks

Alex

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mike, I have a question. I have an active handicap as I did enough comps last year to make sure of that but I am not currently a club member. I would think this counts me out, does it?
Thanks
Alex

Similar question was posted on another thread and your handicap is notvalid whilst you are not a club member.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Had quite a few put their names forward already but keep them coming - will select the team early next week

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I fancy this but it says you need to of played in 3 hcap qualifiying comps in 2011? I will be doing in 2012 but not last year. Does that rule me out? I was thinking of entering anyway but that was my stumbling block.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
I fancy this but it says you need to of played in 3 hcap qualifiying comps in 2011? I will be doing in 2012 but not last year. Does that rule me out? I was thinking of entering anyway but that was my stumbling block.
is your handciap listed as active or inactive at your home club

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
gl to whoever gets this, have already entered the singles and being crocked adding another round 1 match to my list for when back fit probably not a good idea lol so giving the pairs a miss