walton heath on monday 25th

gazr99

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good day for golf at Walton Heath, saw some great golf, as well as some golf to make you realise we are all human and even the pros can struggle. Seeing the so-called future of British golf according to Sky four putt the 11th did make me feel better about my putting.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep, really good day as always.

There must be something odd about those WH greens, because a lot of the putting was pretty dodgy. I wonder if it's because they don't have practice rounds there? Greens seemed pretty quick with very subtle undulations, plus it was pretty breezy.

Lots of putting from well off the green too, although to be fair, the WH fairways and approaches are pretty tight.

For future reference, I would say the morning works best. There are less people about and pretty much all the groups go out as advertised, so you can watch who you like. By the afternoon a lot of the field drops out if they don't feel they have a chance of making it, so you may not catch the players you want to see. Plus the extra people + less groups means that things are a bit more crowded.

It really is a treat to stand literally next to these guys while they play shots. Every one you can get behind and see the flight. It's fantastic.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The most notable thing I saw was Grillo three putting the first from 3 feet (was actually a 4 putt, but the first was a couple of yards off the green), then birdying the next 5 with all manner of quality putting. When he gets on a roll it's mental.

Still didn't make it though.

gazr99

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There were a few misses but we must take into account, we usually watch the highlights so get it in our head the pros make almost every putt from 10 feet or less.

As you saw the Grillo/Colsaerts group as well, was Colsaerts using a mini driver or a fairway wood, it didn't seem like a very big head but he was hitting miles.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good question, as it was one of the first thing I noticed when just behind him.

I think it was either a 'fat' 3 wood, or callaway mini driver of some type. Definitely not a real driver. Hit it almost exactly as far as Grillo hit his driver, really nailed it. I didn't see a driver in his bag at all.

His game looked a bit out of sorts to be honest, although by no means the worst out there...

Saw Olleson recording a 7 via 2 different bits of heather, a duffed short-sided chip and a 3 putt...

I think Bjerregaard was playing the best golf I saw, apart from the burst from Grillo, he absolutely crushes it off the tee.

D

Deleted member 18588

Congratulations to Jason Palmer, the One Armed Bandit, don't suppose he will be joining the roll up that week-end.

Go get 'em, Jase.

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There must be something odd about those WH greens, because a lot of the putting was pretty dodgy. I wonder if it's because they don't have practice rounds there? Greens seemed pretty quick with very subtle undulations, plus it was pretty breezy.

The fact that most of the players have just come from Wentworth where the greens were both slower and the roll not as true is most likely the reason.

S

Snelly

I wish I had seen this sooner. I would've loved to go.

Shame.

Anyone know where the results are posted? Just wondered how Matt Fitzpatrick did....