Walker Cup 2021

Golfnut1957

Visit site
That 17th green is ridiculous, pathetic to my mind.
See the attachments in post #18 from Blue in Munich. They explain how a lot of the landing areas on the greens are miniscule and only accessible from the correct position on the fairway. This and the wind are the only defences.

I must admit that watching some of the world's best amateurs hitting shots into the wrong part of the 18th green and seeing the ball roll 50 yards onto the practise area is fascinating. I keep asking myself how hard can it be, the answer obviously is very.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
See the attachments in post #18 from Blue in Munich. They explain how a lot of the landing areas on the greens are miniscule and only accessible from the correct position on the fairway. This and the wind are the only defences.

I must admit that watching some of the world's best amateurs hitting shots into the wrong part of the 18th green and seeing the ball roll 50 yards onto the practise area is fascinating. I keep asking myself how hard can it be, the answer obviously is very.

Why does the course have to have a defence?

This is matchplay, they're not playing the course they're playing each other, to my mind such fine margins make the winning of a hole as much about luck as about skill.

No wonder I don't like modern golf. ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't stay up to watch the golf, work today, but it looks like GB & Ireland put up a very decent fight. From a local perspective, the lad from Northumberland got 3 from 4 so that is a great memory for him..

Any reason why the Walker Cup is not USA v Europe? It makes sense surely, as per the Ryder Cup. I've looked at recent events and the USA win more and generally win big.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tradition. Europe in the Ryder Cup is relatively new.
I get that but having seen the difference it made to the Ryder Cup, and keeping the format consistent, I would have thought it would make sense. I did a quick check and the Ryder Cup changed in 1979. 42 years ago, not that new. I think it might bring more interest to the Walker Cup as well.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I believe that the prior to Europe joining GB & I the Ryder Cup was on its knees. Jack Nicklaus approached Lord Derby with concerns that the event was no longer a competition and needed fresh blood to revive it. Hence, Europe v USA.
I don't think that the Walker Cup is in the same parlous state regardless of any American domination. Therefore, tradition can continue on its merry way, for now.

*Don't castigate for incorrect facts, it's from memory.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
"Bones" was saying on commentary that he's never seen greens as fast. Keeping in mind he caddied for Mickleson at Augusta. Seemed a tough set up and a good contest between the teams.

Not sure what I think about Seminole, Quail Hollow and the crazy amount of uber private country clubs there seems to be in the USA. I wonder what club golf is actually like over there.