Waiting for ball to fall in hole.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I alluded to this in the 'I played today' thread ...

I was 1down in a (semi-final) match going up the last. I was in the hole for par. Oppo' had a 4footer to make par - to halve the hole, and take the match. The putt stopped on the lip of the hole. We waited and after about 8 seconds it fell in the hole. I say 8 seconds - but we didn't time it - but I was content it was just within time. But, if it had been any longer, I doubt I would have been content.

The question - if there had been a dispute between us as to whether the ball fell in 'within time' for 4, or 'out of time' for 5, how would or could it be resolved under the rules? There were just the two of us - no witnesses.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I alluded to this in the 'I played today' thread ...

I was 1down in a (semi-final) match going up the last. I was in the hole for par. Oppo' had a 4footer to make par - to halve the hole, and take the match. The putt stopped on the lip of the hole. We waited and after about 8 seconds it fell in the hole. I say 8 seconds - but we didn't time it - but I was content it was just within time. But, if it had been any longer, I doubt I would have been content.

The question - if there had been a dispute between us as to whether the ball fell in 'within time' for 4, or 'out of time' for 5, how would or could it be resolved under the rules? There were just the two of us - no witnesses.
You must make a timely claim and let the committee make a difficult decision. :eek:
But perhaps in future if the ball is hovering on the edge, start counting ;)

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The basis of the game, I suppose.- Integrity.?

IIRC, your oppo , having made the stroke,should have walked to the hole from his putting position, reasonably expediently, and when he reached the hole he can wait ten seconds hoping the ball will drop.
I suppose you'd have to determine between you whether the ball dropped within that time.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
There must be precedents for this which would help ..... if you knew them. Someone might come along.

Not a decision to wish on any Committee but my immediate thought is that as the ball has to drop within the 10 seconds, the player whose ball it is has to have evidence that it did. That really means having counted the number of seconds it took, starting at the correct moment - ideally with a watch but perhaps by the familiar method of counting one-thousand, two - thousand. He could be asked to demonstrate his ability to do that reasonably accurately. I reckon that any doubt has to go against the player and if he ddn't count it out at all he has no evidence . If he doesn't know from the rule when the count should start, his evidence is flawed.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A good timing method

1 elephant
2 eleohant
3 elephant

( I used to use it in a photography dark room)

Do not forget to say time up when 10 seconds have been reached as it will still leave it up to discussion if you do not say anything

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Should it happen again, I'm going to look at my watch. But, if there were a dispute, I guess it seems ultimately a question of who the committee believes?
And to summarise my earlier thoughts, if the player cannot show any evidence of having measured the time, the doubt should go against them.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
And to summarise my earlier thoughts, if the player cannot show any evidence of having measured the time, the doubt should go against them.
Similar to looking for a ball & finding it or not within 3 minutes. I know of a County competitor who was sent back to the tee by an official because he couldn't tell the official exactly how long he'd been looking. I can imagine, in the scenario described, that many people would not have the presence of mind to start counting immediately.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
There must be precedents for this which would help ..... if you knew them. Someone might come along.

Not a decision to wish on any Committee but my immediate thought is that as the ball has to drop within the 10 seconds, the player whose ball it is has to have evidence that it did. That really means having counted the number of seconds it took, starting at the correct moment - ideally with a watch but perhaps by the familiar method of counting one-thousand, two - thousand. He could be asked to demonstrate his ability to do that reasonably accurately. I reckon that any doubt has to go against the player and if he ddn't count it out at all he has no evidence . If he doesn't know from the rule when the count should start, his evidence is flawed.

By the time it gets to the Committee I imagine he will know the rule backwards.
Personally, I'd never let it get to that stage. If we couldn't agree, I'd offer to toss for it. If that was rejected I'd say "if you want it that bad, have it"