Volunteering for a handicap cut

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A couple of guys at my place have written in to the annual review, to ask for a h/cap cut. Is this possible?

I know a few in previous years have asked for a raise, and got a small increase, but a reduction? Seems odd.

yandabrown

Visit site
A couple of guys at my place have written in to the annual review, to ask for a h/cap cut. Is this possible?

I know a few in previous years have asked for a raise, and got a small increase, but a reduction? Seems odd.
I think that this was covered in this thread a short while ago: https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/voluntary-cut.103370/

Rulefan came in quite early with:
I suggest you read Clause 23.7 and Appendix M in the CONGU Manual

23.7 In exceptional circumstances the Handicap Committee may adjust the handicap of a player in the period between Annual Reviews if there is compelling evidence that his Exact Handicap does not reflect his current playing ability. Appendix M must be consulted for guidance.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Interesting, must have missed that one. I guess they won't get cut then.

Trouble is, they can't play with a card, but hoover up any cash games.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I did this a number of years ago, I'd had a good year, steadily decreasing handicap and just won our club handicap knockout by 5&4 (OK I had a really good day that day).
I wrote in to request a handicap cut, with explanation and proof, and got cut from 16 to 14. I think it was the right thing as the season after my handicap continued to drop. I just didn't win as much. ;)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
We don't allow it............Sob story coming.............

I tried it as i'm hovering around 5.5 and I had a worldy in what everyone thought was a qualifier. It's a medal round, off the plates, full greens, BUT, all the bunkers were marked GUR because of the previous days heavy storm. I didnt go in a bunker, was 2 under gross at the turn, then the wind picked up, 30 mph, with 40 gusts. It was brutal conditions for well over half the field. . I hit a 4w into our 180 yard par 3 and just made the front. I hung on and fought gallantaly and shot finished 2 over. However, t was a non qualifier as all the bunkers were out of action. I asked for the card to be considered, CSS would have been through the roof, but they wouldnt.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

I tried it as i'm hovering around 5.5 and I had a worldy in what everyone thought was a qualifier. It's a medal round, off the plates, full greens, BUT, all the bunkers were marked GUR because of the previous days heavy storm. I didnt go in a bunker, was 2 under gross at the turn, then the wind picked up, 30 mph, with 40 gusts. It was brutal conditions for well over half the field. . I hit a 4w into our 180 yard par 3 and just made the front. I hung on and fought gallantaly and shot finished 2 over. However, t was a non qualifier as all the bunkers were out of action. I asked for the card to be considered, CSS would have been through the roof, but they wouldnt.
General play cuts for anyone moving to Cat 1 have to be approved by your area authority and in my limited experience are not going to do so based on one good score in a non qualifier.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Aach, you're always moaning. I remember playing with you at Coventry and you weren't happy at only having a birdie on the first hole.

Swango1980

Visit site
Interesting, must have missed that one. I guess they won't get cut then.

Trouble is, they can't play with a card, but hoover up any cash games.
If you have non-qualifiers for cash, just get someone to adapt an unofficial handicap system. We do for our roll ups. Anything over 36 points gets a cut equal to number of shots better than 36 x 0.Category. If they win it, they get an additional cut equal to (Size of the field / 20). Works well, nobody can win every week. If they win in a small field, the extra cut is not that large, but in a big field it is more significant. They get the 0.1 increase if they fail to get a score within 36-Category, and if they get 7 0.1's in a row we give them an extra shot.

Not a lot of work really, you just want someone who is keen to adjust the spreadsheet after each roll up round. I'm sure many other clubs have their own unofficial system.

Of course, if the roll up is run a bit more officially (not just people turning up for a knock) and the course is playing under qualifying conditions, I'd always recommend considering running it as an actual qualifier (although you probably shouldn't be paying out money, unless the players are considering losing their amateur status?)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We allow anytime handicap review requests but a player must have submitted a minimum of 7 qualifying scores for us to consider it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes, you are correct - it was LiverpoolPhil that was moaning about his birdie.
? yeah it should have been an Eagle

in regards to the OP - yes ask away but a decent HC committee will only make adjustments if there is compelling arguments but if there is then they would already know imo

I always used to say “if you want a lower handicap then go and do it on the course “

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What are your criteria?

We do not actually get that many

Most requests are because of injury or illness.

A few are ' I cannot play to current handicap'

and few are because players want a cut.

We treat the latter two exactly the same as we would treat them at the annual review.

I would add that the Continuous Review has cut down on a lot of the of the 'I need an increase requests'

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, one of them got cut 2 shots, for no other reason than asking for it. 13, down to 11.

It is possible that you don't have the full picture. It may well be that the AR report, together with other factors considered by your Handicap Committee, may have produced this outcome - unless you have inside information.