Very shallow divots?

timgolfy

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I have very shallow divots - barely a scrape along the grass. My ball flight from the short irons is also very high. Long irons and woods are good though.

Is this something to be worried about?

DCB

Visit site
Assuming these divots are after the ball strike, what direction are they pointing in ?

Is the divot a uniform depth ?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tim, I have been working on taking divots with my pro, when the ground is harder (as it is now) then the divot will be shallower, aslong as its forward of where the ball was lying then its fine as the strike is still true. So in winter/wetter conditions when the ground is a lot softer obviously a deeper divot will be taken.

According to my pro, top players take a divot of approx 4 inches forward of the ball, amateurs are anywhere between 2 inches behind and 2 inches forward.

Some may say this is a load of boolox but I am seeing more consitancy with my irons/hybrids trying this method, I also can tell why my shot did what it did by where the divot was (and the awful vibration up the club half the time lol)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is very important to take a divot or at least scorch the grass after the ball,i get a much better contact when i take a divot of some kind,and your arms certainly know when youve had a poor contact[vibration].Obviously you will know hitting down on the ball with your short irons will help compress the ball and a divot will follow.As someone has already said you can learn a lot from a divot.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
as I learnt to swing on a range I never used to take divots, and in fact tried to avoid them - 'cos they hurt on hard mats. now I sometimes do.
the better ones are usually a grass burn or thin slice; I hate the ones that leave the club sticking out of the ground!