Vandalism to one of Scotland's best.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's serious criminal damage that, and clearly not random which is likely to give motive and should make it easier for the police to investigate. If if was a dog walker, he better hope he's disposed of the spade.

I agree that this should be seen as a criminal act but even if the police caught whoever is responsible there would be zero effective punishment given by the courts. Would the police even investigate I wonder?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm pleased to report that I played Western Gailes today and the greens have recovered remarkably well. You had to "search" the first green to find evidence of any remedial work which is a huge credit to the greens team who have done a fantastic job.

There won't be any lasting damage.

Course was good condition and the weather was incredibly mild and calm for the end of December. My golf wasn't great, started with a birdie and it couldn't maintain that fast start! Scrappy would be a fair assessment.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heard that the 15th green on Baildon has now been valdalised by a quad bike! 2nd green is out of action until next year and now the 15th has been damaged. The problem is that the course is a moorland course and doesn't really have any protection. The course is probably only 1 of a handful that has remained open during this horrendous weather as it copes so well with it being moorland.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Looking at the damage on the above bunkered link, fingers crossed it can be repaired without too much work.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
see post 45
Yeah. I was focussing on the Western Gailes one mate. Either way, I can’t understand why anyone would want to do this. The quad and motorbike problem needs addressing. Most of the ones tearing around here are off road and don’t have plates. There needs to be legislation on them to get them fully registered, assuming it doesn’t exist already.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah. I was focussing on the Western Gailes one mate. Either way, I can’t understand why anyone would want to do this. The quad and motorbike problem needs addressing. Most of the ones tearing around here are off road and don’t have plates. There needs to be legislation on them to get them fully registered, assuming it doesn’t exist already.

thats wat 45 is about, Craw visited the course and seen the repairs

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to race motocross, that would be an 'off-road' bike to you. They are race bikes designed for off road use and dont go on the roads so why should they need to be registered ? That's like saying we should register a ride-on lawnmower. Its the idiots that use them on land that's either public land or just riding them in areas they arnt supposed to be ridden. You get idiots everywhere, the club should block off any access areas to stop people bringing bikes in. If its alot of hassle to get one in they likely wont bother trying.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I used to race motocross, that would be an 'off-road' bike to you. They are race bikes designed for off road use and dont go on the roads so why should they need to be registered ? That's like saying we should register a ride-on lawnmower. Its the idiots that use them on land that's either public land or just riding them in areas they arnt supposed to be ridden. You get idiots everywhere, the club should block off any access areas to stop people bringing bikes in. If its alot of hassle to get one in they likely wont bother trying.
They should be registered with plates to help the police crack down on the people not using them as intended which happens a lot where I live and I’m yet to see a ride along lawnmower tearing up the place. Using western gailes as an example, most links courses would find it impossible to block public access, especially without affecting the aesthetics of the course.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
They should be registered with plates to help the police crack down on the people not using them as intended which happens a lot where I live and I’m yet to see a ride along lawnmower tearing up the place. Using western gailes as an example, most links courses would find it impossible to block public access, especially without affecting the aesthetics of the course.
Dont be ridiculous, proper mx bikes re race bikes not fit for or designed for the road, tyres wouldnt be legal, exhaust would be too loud and wouldn't meet regulations. Lots of other things wouldn't work and also they are race bikes designed to be as light as possible so any electrical guff/lightsplates and all the rest of it is undesirable. Places should take precautions if dirt bikes are a problem in the area, I'd imagine erecting a fence in problem areas would soon be cost effective against fixing damage on the course

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, how do these "off road race bikes" get to the land in question, because it certainly is illegal to ride them on the public highway (and that includes pushing them on a public path)?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dont be ridiculous, proper mx bikes re race bikes not fit for or designed for the road, tyres wouldnt be legal, exhaust would be too loud and wouldn't meet regulations. Lots of other things wouldn't work and also they are race bikes designed to be as light as possible so any electrical guff/lightsplates and all the rest of it is undesirable. Places should take precautions if dirt bikes are a problem in the area, I'd imagine erecting a fence in problem areas would soon be cost effective against fixing damage on the course
Do you really think someone who is sinking money into that sport is going to decide one day "I think I'll take my race bike over to the golf course"?
No, its scum that do that on stolen bikes of any sort.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, how do these "off road race bikes" get to the land in question, because it certainly is illegal to ride them on the public highway (and that includes pushing them on a public path)?
Usually a van or a trailer, is that really that hard to work out. Some will ride them on roads but generally few and far between

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you really think someone who is sinking money into that sport is going to decide one day "I think I'll take my race bike over to the golf course"?
No, its scum that do that on stolen bikes of any sort.
The ones you see on courses etc are likely old ones bought for little over a grand or cheap chinese pit bikes but these are small and not really that great off road

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
They should be registered with plates to help the police crack down on the people not using them as intended which happens a lot where I live and I’m yet to see a ride along lawnmower tearing up the place. Using western gailes as an example, most links courses would find it impossible to block public access, especially without affecting the aesthetics of the course.[/QUOTE

That's a bit like saying all burglars should wear I'd tags for ease of identification, it's just not going to happen.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
The problem, as always, is that it’s not the legitimate sports people causing the problem. MX bikes certainly do get driven on the road - quite a lot in my locale - but always by the local scroats, and never by people treating MC as a sport.

If you made it a requirement to register MX bikes, all of the legitimate users would do it, at additional hassle and expense, but none of the scroats would bother.

Think of it this way. Golf clubs have been used as weapons by thugs. Should we all have to register our clubs because of idiots who have nothing to do with the sport of golf?