Using non conforming clubs...

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
As I regularly bore people with my gushing over My Ping Eye2 Irons, I thought I would ask about your feelings regarding people who use non conforming clubs.

I did not know they were not legal until I had purchased them. Having extensively read the articles regarding the lawsuits, in the end I saw playing them as a way to stick it to the uptight USGA. Anyhow they are legal for all but elite play until 2024 and I intend to use mine for the foreseeable future.

More than that I truly think they are a gateway club. Very high quality, widely available used in different lies and are used by high and low handicap players. You can get a set for less than $150 and unless you want to change they are still top notch irons that you can probably use forever.

But how do you feel about playing an opponent using them or them using, say, a non conforming driver? Should they even be allowed at club level? Are they the mark of a dishonest person? Does using a set of Eye2's lessen your credibility and integrity? Are you likely to be called on it or told you are not allowed to use them for competition play at your club?

Personally, I do not care. It is not my intention to cheat. I love my irons, their heritage and their engineered design. I even love their quirky look. Most of all I love they don't cost an arm and a leg.

But what does everyone else think?

Thanks,

Craig

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Trouble is that if a club is non-conforming then it is breaking the rules to use them in competition.
Which other rules do we disregard, whether we like/agree with them or not..?

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
Trouble is that if a club is non-conforming then it is breaking the rules to use them in competition.
Which other rules do we disregard, whether we like/agree with them or not..?

I try not to break any rules of golf. And they see still legal for all but elite Amateur play here in the USA.

I am interested what UK attitudes are. Would it put you off from playing someone with Eye2 irons?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Using an illegal club is the same as kicking your ball out of the rough.
Deliberately breaking the rules = cheating.

You can use a 500cc driver with 0.9 COR in a knockabout with mates, just not in competition.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are just playing socially then I couldn't give two hoots what you use and I would happily play with someone who doesn't have a legal club or putting stroke. The minute there are prizes up for grabs, competition or even society days, then it is wrong. Social golf, competitive golf, two different things.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As I understand it, Ping Eye2 irons are legal for everybody except pros and elite amateurs until 2024. Therefore I would have no problem with anybody using them in club competitions or society days. They are far from latest technology anyway, so I doubt that they offer any real advantage.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Krank Golf Drivers have a lot of success in winning longdrive
Did you know that their HQ is next door to a golf company that Shaves golf clubs (To increase C.O.R) and that company shaves more Krank than any other brand

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As I understand it, Ping Eye2 irons are legal for everybody except pros and elite amateurs until 2024. Therefore I would have no problem with anybody using them in club competitions or society days. They are far from latest technology anyway, so I doubt that they offer any real advantage.

This, i still use my Mizuno MP10 50 and 56 wedges these are illegal for pro's and elite Ams, since I'm nether of these i will use them until 2024 when they become totally for everyone.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The problem is who polices this week in week out? What's to stop a PP rocking up on the first tee in a medal with a set on the non-conforming list? Does someone stand there with a definitive list and check bags. I get the "if you break one rule, which others do you choose to break" argument but it comes down to self-policing and I'm not convinced everyone is straight down the line that way

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The problem is who polices this week in week out? What's to stop a PP rocking up on the first tee in a medal with a set on the non-conforming list? Does someone stand there with a definitive list and check bags. I get the "if you break one rule, which others do you choose to break" argument but it comes down to self-policing and I'm not convinced everyone is straight down the line that way

This is the problem with any rule in golf though. Who polices it? You just have to go on trust.

Farmergeddon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is entirely different though isnt it, if you see somebody kicking the ball out of the rough or breaking some other rule you will know about it, however if you turn up for a match and the guy has a nonconforming driver how would you know?? you wouldnt unless you can go on the R&A website and check it out, Its all bollocks all this nonconforming rubbish, for amateurs it makes little or no difference as far as I am concerned the further the ball goes the better same with spin, any match that does not have a official referee should be able to use anything. Pros play a different game anyway and eventually something will be done about the distance they hit the ball now, then it will be a game of two halves.

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
A lad we use to play with got one of those krank drivers and he did not hit it any better or longer than his normal driver.I think most club golfers are not good enough to take advantage.If you could hit it in the sweet spot all the time then maybe.It would not bother me if someone was.

Last edited: