Using lie angle to close the iron face

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was looking at my irons and I am consistently left of target.
The clubs are 1 degrees upright and when I was fitted I asked why as my preferred were 1 degree flat. I was told the dynamic conditions were the reason.
However since the fitting I have strengthened my grip so I don’t need help closing the face.
The 1 degree flat irons seem to be straight on target.
I am wondering whether I should ask to have my iron lies adjusted-bearing in mind they are Ping irons.
Also lofts have been 2 degrees weaker so 29->31 for example

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
1727098588027.png
Does this help? Too upright means shots will go left, apparently about 4 yards for every degree so if you went 2 degrees flatter (to 1 degree flat) then you 'should' move the ball about 8 yards to the right.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
View attachment 55087
Does this help? Too upright means shots will go left, apparently about 4 yards for every degree so if you went 2 degrees flatter (to 1 degree flat) then you 'should' move the ball about 8 yards to the right.
Yes I think I am 8-9yards left of target if I don’t try and fudge it. I just took the old clubs that were 1 degree flat and I was just flying down my aim line. My wedges are standard and they are just aftermarket off the shelf stuff and they fly straight as well.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
There are a lot of variables in the degree of influence lie angle has on a shot's direction.

Probably the three biggest are:
How hard the ground is.
Where in relation to the ball do you first strike the ground (ie do you fat it or top it?).
How deep is your divot.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Basic personal dynamic test is to put tape on the sole of the club and hit off a suitable to surface to mark the sole of the club. Ask the the pro if you can borrow a lie board and then there is no need for tape. I find hitting off a reasonably new mat does the trick any way.

At my last fitting I had asked for 2 degrees flat but the fitter said 'why bother, how often do hit off a truly flat lie'. I think because the club shafts were shorter than I had previously used the test did not really show a need for the lie to be altered.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are a lot of variables in the degree of influence lie angle has on a shot's direction.

Probably the three biggest are:
How hard the ground is.
Where in relation to the ball do you first strike the ground (ie do you fat it or top it?).
How deep is your divot.
Usually after the ball divot is shallow to zero.
Ground was soft but that doesn’t usually bother me I usually just go through any thing.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Basic personal dynamic test is to put tape on the sole of the club and hit off a suitable to surface to mark the sole of the club. Ask the the pro if you can borrow a lie board and then there is no need for tape. I find hitting off a reasonably new mat does the trick any way.

At my last fitting I had asked for 2 degrees flat but the fitter said 'why bother, how often do hit off a truly flat lie'. I think because the club shafts were shorter than I had previously used the test did not really show a need for the lie to be altered.
He has a point .. my course is flat but I would argue why should you have to consider the lie when it’s flat ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That was my initial thought but I had a few divots that were angled as well .. but I could not work round the lefts
When looking at divot holes look closely at the first cut in to the ground, that will tell you club face angle at impact, secondly look at the direction, it will tell you swing path and lastly look at shape if it curves it shows you rolling you hand at impact if straight shows you hit without doing so.

Always been my biggest disappointment with our practice ground becoming a driving range - no longer able to learn from divot holes.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When looking at divot holes look closely at the first cut in to the ground, that will tell you club face angle at impact, secondly look at the direction, it will tell you swing path and lastly look at shape if it curves it shows you rolling you hand at impact if straight shows you hit without doing so.

Always been my biggest disappointment with our practice ground becoming a driving range - no longer able to learn from divot holes.
Think the divot will be more of a splat after this rain! 🤪

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was the opposite.
Shaft deflected down and put the toe down first and missed everything right.
So 2 up and sweet as a nut.
The leading edge of my divot is now square.
That’s what happens (or should) during a normal swing, the shaft bows slightly causing the toe to move down. That’s why in the good old days people used to say that you should be able to get a coin below the toe of the iron when the club was at the address position.