Using a rangefinder in round

cunnini

Visit site
My rangefinder has the ability to adjust for height variance when measuring distance - i've never used it in anger.

I'm going to play my first non-comp round at my club in a while on Sunday but will probably mark a card as i'm playing well and wanting to reduce my handicap. My question is simply am i allowed to have the rangefinder set to adjust for height or not?

Before anyone moans, i'm sure you know what i mean by adjust for height, but i can't remember the phrase!

thanks all

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
If you're playing a round to comply with the rules of golf then simple answer - no, you cant use the slope adjusted distance

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where you can use one is in a practice round and then take the figures and mark them on a card or change the distances as given on a course planner.
You are then allowed to use the adjusted course planner in a comp.

salfordlad

Visit site
If you use it with the height adjustment feature turned on it is general penalty first time and DQ the second time - see Rule 4.3.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Can anyone explain how the slope adjustment works, I thought the laser from a rangefinder went in a straight line to the flag, so in effect took account of the change in height.
So in the diagram below rangefinders would show 13, not 12, or will the slope adjusted rangefinder show 17?
How does it take account of the slope, is there a sensor measuring the angle the rangefinder is held at?
IMG_0393.jpeg

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I can not fully explain how the device works, but it makes an adjustment for the fact that the ball will hit the ground sooner when playing uphill and conversely will travel further forwards a bit more when playing downhill.

You may have 180 to the flag uphill, but need to play a 183 yard shot.
180 downhill and you might need to play a 177 yard shot.

Something like that - or maybe something not quite like that.
slope adjustment for rangefinders.jpg