Use of 'Virtual Players' in Team Competitions

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, we settled on that format some years ago after trying all sorts of options. This was soon accepted as producing the fairest outcome (at least everyone believes that it is and are happy with it).
The only 'stats' we have show that the disparity between the biggest winner and the lowest loser in the prize money pot at the end of a year is very much closer that any other system tried. Handicaps are adjusted monthly depending on winning or losses.
Ah, so would 3 scores from 4 be your preferred format?
So how would you adjust H/caps?

D

Deleted member 23270

We used to have a ghost pro that got 2pts per hole. Our rollup is now run by someone else and it has changed. Groups of 3 lose 1 shot off their playing handicap and it is 2 scores to count. Apparently he has checked back on historical scores and the 3 balls win more often than the 4balls. Go figure...................

Just to clarify.......2 scores to count regardless of group size, 3 ball no longer has a ghost pro.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We used to have a ghost pro that got 2pts per hole. Our rollup is now run by someone else and it has changed. Groups of 3 lose 1 shot off their playing handicap and it is 2 scores to count. Apparently he has checked back on historical scores and the 3 balls win more often than the 4balls. Go figure...................

Just to clarify.......2 scores to count regardless of group size, 3 ball no longer has a ghost pro.
Yeah, that's all well & good for a Roll-up but I'm looking for a solution for Comps using the Clubs PSI.

D

Deleted member 23270

Yeah, that's all well & good for a Roll-up but I'm looking for a solution for Comps using the Clubs PSI.
Well I just offered you one. The obvious answer is the 3 ball carries on a man down which is the only fair way for the other teams but if your club wants to put it's own rules in place you now have a suggestion.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Well I just offered you one. The obvious answer is the 3 ball carries on a man down which is the only fair way for the other teams but if your club wants to put it's own rules in place you now have a suggestion.
Yeah, thanks for that..... it's just the 1 shot off their H/cap that the PSI System won't handle

D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah, thanks for that..... it's just the 1 shot off their H/cap that the PSI System won't handle

The PSI and system wont handle any “fudge” to try and make it fair because it’s all guess work

If it’s a comp via your systems then it’s got to be full team - if a team can only play with three then bottom line is IG or CS won’t be able to manufacture something

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does it really make that much difference? Often other players go first to allow the folk with a Birdie chance to have a good go.
It guarantees that at least 3 players will putt out if they are still in with a shout. Incidentally, there are no tap in gimmes.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So how would you adjust H/caps?
It sounds more complicated than it is so bear with me.

Every entrant puts £3 in the kitty on the day. Each member of the winning team gets £12. Lower places get a sort of pro-rata share depending on the no of entrants. There is a fixed table for this. Any surplus on the day goes into the xmas dinner wine pool.
1 Jan caps set/reset to CH. Handicaps are adjusted monthly.
For each £6 won cap goes down 1 stroke. For each £6 lost cap goes up 1 stroke.
Over a year winnings/losses are in the low 10 pounds. I don't think anyone has won or lost more than £50 (and that was exceptional).

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The PSI and system wont handle any “fudge” to try and make it fair because it’s all guess work

If it’s a comp via your systems then it’s got to be full team - if a team can only play with three then bottom line is IG or CS won’t be able to manufacture something
To understand what we're trying to do I refer you to #17