Us pga black out

D

Deleted member 15344

This has potential to be great news and a very positive step away from Sky having the monopoly on Golf - talk of live on You Tube free to air as well as on dedicated US PGA websites.

Good to see that the US PGA want to ensure that the golf is watched by as many people as possible

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I'd be amazed if it ends up free somewhere.

They talk a good game during the article. But as a business I don't see them refusing the Sky money without making it back elsewhere......

D

Deleted member 15344

Can't see them refusing money from sky and then giving it away for free.
Unless they can make a fortune on the advertising revenue

Someone like You Tube etc can still buy the rights to air but show it free to air

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
They won't.

I agree although some on here don't see the bigger picture and to suggest there will be significant ad revenue to pay for it smacks of one thing. Even more interruptions than we already get on the current feeds, which will make it a difficult and hard viewing experience and one that won't exactly entice a new viewing generation

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm sure Sky will sort out a deal to broadcast the PGA live but to be honest I dont think they will lose any sleep if they do lose it as its the least of the big 4 majors,just hope the USPGA get their "new platform" coverage for the event right as it could be a complete disaster for them.I for one are more than happy with Sky's golf coverage.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Sky have a contract with the PGA Tour until 2021, the fuss is they have lost the right to the US PGA Tour Championship, 1 event, that's all, 1 event.

Amazing people are happy about it when some of you are tied in to a Sky Contract.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sky have a contract with the PGA Tour until 2021, the fuss is they have lost the right to the US PGA Tour Championship, 1 event, that's all, 1 event.

Amazing people are happy about it when some of you are tied in to a Sky Contract.

It's the PGA Championship, the last major of the year, they have lost, not the PGA Tour Championship which is played in Sept.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I reckon they'll have a global subscription platform where you can sign up to watch full coverage of the tournament on their website. Definitely won't be giving it away for free.

D

Deleted member 16999

It's the PGA Championship, the last major of the year, they have lost, not the PGA Tour Championship which is played in Sept.
Cheers :thup: just the one event though, the deal that has finished is with the pga of america, they haven't lost the rights to everything else as presumed above.

D

Deleted member 15344

So they don't renew a deal with a subscription service that most golf fans have already got because they want to have more people watch it and they are then going to ask people to pay further to watch it - how does that encourage more to watch the event ? I will be amazed if it's not on a social media platform like Facebook or You Tube who will pay for the rights but will be free to air , would be even better if BBC look to get it

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers :thup: just the one event though, the deal that has finished is with the pga of america, they haven't lost the rights to everything else as presumed above.

Oh aye, it's only the one event, but it is still a biggie. Granted it's arguably the major with the least appeal.

I'll not be cancelling my SKy Sports due to it. Bit of a downer though. It'll be interesting to see how they do try to broadcast it over here.