US Open

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never thought Fitzpatrick had it in him to be a Major winner, glad to be proven wrong.
About a month ago I asked what he had to do to win. He was frequently contending, picking up big cheques, but never really threatening in the end. The question wasn't asked with an edge, it was genuinely put out there.

The replies were thoughtful but the general consensus was he didn't quite have the length to win.

Boom, he crossed the line. Superb play, huge amount of bottle shown, fabulous stuff.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Seemed to be a lot of warmth towards Fitzpatrick on his win both on the green and twitter. Comes across as a very nice guy.
Agree.
Also to mention that Zalatoris also seems to be. Whilst rooting for Matt, I do hope that all these near misses don't end up harming Zalatoris in the long run.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
About a month ago I asked what he had to do to win. He was frequently contending, picking up big cheques, but never really threatening in the end. The question wasn't asked with an edge, it was genuinely put out there.

The replies were thoughtful but the general consensus was he didn't quite have the length to win.

Boom, he crossed the line. Superb play, huge amount of bottle shown, fabulous stuff.
The funny thing is, a year or so ago he was criticising Bryson saying there's no skill in hitting bombs etc. Since then he does the work on his swing speed, started hitting it longer, and as a result he's now won a major, haha. Wonder if he's reassessed those comments. ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The funny thing is, a year or so ago he was criticising Bryson saying there's no skill in hitting bombs etc. Since then he does the work on his swing speed, started hitting it longer, and as a result he's now won a major, haha. Wonder if he's reassessed those comments. ?

There is a difference between trying to crush golf courses with distance and trying to be competitive with medium length hitters. Matt Fitz did the latter. He is still only 11 stone weight, apparently. A good strategy if you can do it without sacrificing accuracy.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In his defence he hasn't added distance at the cost of accuracy. He hasn't gone bomb and gouge. As others have posted previously he was just that little bit short, leaving too long a club in at the big courses they play in the US. He had to add a little distance to really compete. He hasn't gone full Bryson.

What did surprise me a little, just seen the last hole played now, is that he tapped in to finish the hole on 18 when Zalatoris had a long putt still. Normally they wait to get 'the moment ' and putt to win a major.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In his defence he hasn't added distance at the cost of accuracy. He hasn't gone bomb and gouge. As others have posted previously he was just that little bit short, leaving too long a club in at the big courses they play in the US. He had to add a little distance to really compete. He hasn't gone full Bryson.

What did surprise me a little, just seen the last hole played now, is that he tapped in to finish the hole on 18 when Zalatoris had a long putt still. Normally they wait to get 'the moment ' and putt to win a major.
As they're both relative youngsters, maybe they didn't think of that tradition. Also it wasn't a formality either since Zalatoris had that birdie putt.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a difference between trying to crush golf courses with distance and trying to be competitive with medium length hitters. Matt Fitz did the latter. He is still only 11 stone weight, apparently. A good strategy if you can do it without sacrificing accuracy.
Yeah I know he's never going to become Bryson, I just remember at the time his comments came across as jealousy if anything and I went off him a bit. Fair play to him for realising a bit of work on distance couldn't hurt and putting a shift in to get it though.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

And Fitzpatrick’s comments still stand. He hasn’t done what Bryson did and bulked up to completely overpower courses, he’s simply worked to improve his distance whilst playing the course as designed. The difference between the two of them is night and day.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah I know he's never going to become Bryson, I just remember at the time his comments came across as jealousy if anything and I went off him a bit. Fair play to him for realising a bit of work on distance couldn't hurt and putting a shift in to get it though.

I agree with him about Bryson, and recent results are proving Bryson to be a flash in the pan. He had a couple of years where he was going to crush Augusta and it crushed him. And his injuries are an issue. Now he has slunk off to the LIV Tour, where the level of competition is less and the courses will be chosen to suit Bryson's long and wild game.

Matt isn't hitting bombs, he is hitting shots which allow him to show his skill without a starting disadvantage. That shot from the fairway bunker was stunning.

Swango1980

Visit site

I think they only ever mark the ball, to leave the tap in, when it is guaranteed to win the tournament. It would come across as either disrespectful, or presumptuous if they did that when the guy you are playing with has a putt to force the play off.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Great win for Fitzpatrick. Very impressive. Also a refreshing change to be discussing someone from this side of the pond other than McIlroy.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

With Zalatoris still having a putt for a playoff I kind of get why convention went out of the window. Plus, by finishing off it maybe just added a little pressure to his opponent’s putt.

I think leaving the winner to hole out is perhaps preserved for cases where there is no doubt who that winner actually is.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Matt has a faster ball speed than DJ. He’s up there with all but the longest

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
With Zalatoris still having a putt for a playoff I kind of get why convention went out of the window. Plus, by finishing off it maybe just added a little pressure to his opponent’s putt.

I think leaving the winner to hole out is perhaps preserved for cases where there is no doubt who that winner actually is.
I don't have issues with convention or anything similar, it's just he doesn't have that sink the putt, arms aloft moment. Frankly, I doubt he cares, he won ?. No minute or two to stress over the short putt, walk up to it, knock it in ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
And Fitzpatrick’s comments still stand. He hasn’t done what Bryson did and bulked up to completely overpower courses, he’s simply worked to improve his distance whilst playing the course as designed. The difference between the two of them is night and day.
I agree with him about Bryson, and recent results are proving Bryson to be a flash in the pan. He had a couple of years where he was going to crush Augusta and it crushed him. And his injuries are an issue. Now he has slunk off to the LIV Tour, where the level of competition is less and the courses will be chosen to suit Bryson's long and wild game.

Matt isn't hitting bombs, he is hitting shots which allow him to show his skill without a starting disadvantage. That shot from the fairway bunker was stunning.
Well, you're both missing the point. At the time I misinterpreted his points as just having a dig at Bryson. However since saying that he worked to add speed and therefore distance to his own game. I'm just giving him a bit of credit for that, that's all. He didn't just rest on his laurels.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us...wins-with-long-driving-power-the-stack-system

His driving was superb all week.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Matt has a faster ball speed than DJ. He’s up there with all but the longest

On the PGA Tour official stats, Matt is still below average driving distance. DJ was properly long when in the mood, and I doubt Matt could keep up. I think he is better suited to tight tricky courses rather than those massive 7700 yard monsters.