US Open qualifying Walton Heath 26 May

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Just to let everyone know that the qualifying for the US Open is at Walton Heath on Monday (Bank holiday) 26th May 2014.
It is a great day out, free admission, 36 holes and a lovely course to walk round. There are no ropes, so you can get up close to the players. Top 50 in world rankings automatically qualify, but you will be still be watching players in the top 100. Last year we watched Olly and Monty amongst others.

There are refreshment tents, so you can get a beer, ice cream, burger etc.

Best way to watch some top golfers up close for free.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thank the Lord that the USGA are more 'traditional' than the R&A and have kept this in the calendar.

Did both these last year and will be making every effort to get along again. Live pro golf on two quality courses for free. If there is a down side, I've yet to spot it. I walked a few holes with David Howell's group last year and there were about 6 of us...

The no-ropes rule is particularly good feature. I was a bit shocked to get to Sunningdale and find that I had to stay at least 10 yards away from the pros....

SteveBonners

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had hoped to get along to this event last year, but was not able to.

It is great to see the USGA keeping this qualifying event . I must admit , I always felt that the chance of a local pro making it through was part of the "magic" of our Open. It is still possible, but seems to be more difficult with fewer places in final qualifying.

Was there car parking facilities at Walton Heath?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes, there's a big field just up the road from the golf club (it's signposted) which is free entry. I got there pretty early last year and there weren't any problems getting in. Not sure how it is later in the day.

Lovely heathland courses, but the noise of the M25 would mean I would be forced to turn down membership if offered....

SteveBonners

Assistant Pro
Visit site
U S Open Qualifying Walton Heath 26th May

I am considering going to Walton Heath for the US Open qualifying on Bank Holiday Monday.

I have seen this mentioned on the forum. Have any of you guys been in previous years. if so, are there admission charges / Car park arrangements etc.

Have looked on the club's website but no details are shown.

Thanks

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Re: U S Open Qualifying Walton Heath 26th May

I am considering going to Walton Heath for the US Open qualifying on Bank Holiday Monday.

I have seen this mentioned on the forum. Have any of you guys been in previous years. if so, are there admission charges / Car park arrangements etc.

Have looked on the club's website but no details are shown.

Thanks

it's free, so's the parking which is in a field just past the main clubhouse entrance (it's signposted).

It's a great day, can't recommend it highly enough.

Birdy

Visit site

Is there anywhere I can find tee times/entry list for this event?

Thanks

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site

So how many braved the weather and got to this ?

I managed about 3/4 of the day. Luckily I was dressed for it, but even then I was surprised by how cold and windy it was.

Really enjoyed the day. Saw a good number of the main protagonists. It's just brilliant to wander about from hole to hole and keep seeing the golfers that you've only identified from the bottom of the fantasy team list.

Dennis Pugh pushed me out of the way to watch Ross Fisher tee off !!

Sadly I had to leave before the playoff. Did it finish with a bang or a whimper?

Only good thing about leaving early was that the trail of mud out of the car park was still negotiable by a 2wd car. Not sure what it would have been like a couple of hours later.

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site

Yeah 3 of us braved it. We played in the morning then went over to Walton Heath in the afternoon, just in time for the worst of the conditions. It really was quite horrible by the end. Very wet, windy and surprisingly cold.

It's the first time I've been to this, but definitely wont be the last. What a fantastic way to watch golf. Can just wander around wherever you want, getting very close to the action, and seeing the course from places you simply couldn't from the normal "behind the ropes" event. Anyone who hasn't been to one of these, and gets the chance next year, you really should go. Even in the awful conditions yesterday afternoon it was really good.

The course was absolutely fantastic, despite the weather. There were some standing water areas on the greens later in the afternoon, but the greenstaff were excellent in clearing these where they could. I had a ball in my pocket ad had a roll across a couple of the greens. Even though they were very wet, the speed and smoothness of them was amazing. Really did show the difference in the surfaces he pros get to putt on compared to us. Not that that makes it easier, I could easily see me 3 stabbing every green on the Course if you miss the pin on the wrong side of the green. Downhillers would be frightening.

Can't wait until next year.