US Open qualifying at Walton Heath

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thank goodness the heavy rain kept away.

The scoring was tremendous compared with previous years - I guess the overnight rain made it a bit easier.

Not all great scoring however, I was marshalling a match in the morning where one of the pros was a couple over and he was almost hitting the ball on the run towards the end. Didn't play in the afternoon leaving his partner to go out with a marker.

The match I marshalled in the afternoon picked up on the 16th green and walked in. Never said a word to the marsalls or scorers just walked off the green and back to the clubhouse.

Not desperately impressed.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
A mate who came with me wasn't terribly impressed either by the number of players who didn't go out in the afternoon and left lone players, but I don't think golfers at that level are particularly interested in their fellow competitors and aren't going to walk 18 holes over 4 hours when they've got no chance just to keep someone else company

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A mate who came with me wasn't terribly impressed either by the number of players who didn't go out in the afternoon and left lone players, but I don't think golfers at that level are particularly interested in their fellow competitors and aren't going to walk 18 holes over 4 hours when they've got no chance just to keep someone else company

They've got to be in Sweden/Switzerland and want to be playing a practice round tomorrow and make some money, doesn't do them any good hanging about and maybe getting on the last flight out and wasting the practice day travelling.

That course in Sweden is in Malmo as well so not the greatest of connections

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
They've got to be in Sweden/Switzerland and want to be playing a practice round tomorrow and make some money, doesn't do them any good hanging about and maybe getting on the last flight out and wasting the practice day travelling.

I don't disagree. Let's hope they weren't flying BA!!

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was there too. Fantastic day. Really love being able to walk up and down the fairways with the players etc. Was having a good old chinwag with Colsaerts, Harrington and their caddies on a couple of holes :)

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It's actually very easy to get to as Malmo is very close to Copenhagen. There are loads of flights to Copenhagen every day. I have a friend that lives in that part of Sweden and that's how he gets to the UK, train to Copenhagen and fly from there.

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Depends on the player Chris. I ended up scoring for one of the last matches where it was obvious after 9 holes that Graham Storm was not going to qualify and Eddie Pepperell had a good chance, Graham stayed out playing so as not to disrupt the rhythm of play. Eddie did have a wobble on 17 but birdied 18 to qualify easily.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Depends on the player Chris. I ended up scoring for one of the last matches where it was obvious after 9 holes that Graham Storm was not going to qualify and Eddie Pepperell had a good chance, Graham stayed out playing so as not to disrupt the rhythm of play. Eddie did have a wobble on 17 but birdied 18 to qualify easily.

I certainly agree TXL. My mate felt that someone left on his own was going to have a round where he was going to lose the normal rhythm of a 2 or 3 ball and that would affect his chances and that good manners say that they shouldn't scratch

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
Having spent all week at Wentworth working & watching the BMW PGA Championship I have to say US Open Qualifying at wonderful Walton Heath GC was the best experience I've had at any golf event here or abroad.

It was my 1st time as it's been recommended by many friends over the years. No ropes, locals walking dogs catching up on the gossip with friends, kids with their parents or grand-parents, mild-mannered local Marshalls who instinctively knew where to draw the line or ask for a bit of Decorum when players where making shots all added up to fantastic day out watching top-class golf. Being able to see these great players grinding out scores with their exceptional talent & knowledge of their respective caddies just showed the difference between them & local PGA Pros.

Hats off to those who qualified & personally I'm gutted for Colsaerts as he had it on a string all day but didn't sink the required putts when it mattered. Special praise to Beef Johnson & his playing partner Bradley Dredge. They had the largest gallery all day, with kids in awe of Beef. He signed hats, balls had a laugh with spectators & a chat in between shots whilst walking down the fairway. To qualify with all that going on takes an exceptional talent. So pleased for him & his caddie.

It's in my diary for next year already...:thup:IMG_20170529_121115.jpg4AA64F43-180F-4BF2-B42D-F1C4BF6D254B.jpg7F33E34C-620D-464C-9342-C0B11DBF8394.jpg8BC739EF-8F6C-4D1B-9BA4-5FCBCFDCA40E.jpg

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
I see that this has moved to Monday 4th June which is disappointing as its a working day and a day after the Italian Open, so surely it will impact the quality of the field.

I am currently working just up the road in Reigate so will try and get over for the afternoon or during a long lunch!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I see that this has moved to Monday 4th June which is disappointing as its a working day and a day after the Italian Open, so surely it will impact the quality of the field.

I am currently working just up the road in Reigate so will try and get over for the afternoon or during a long lunch!

I saw this and wondered what was going on. The Monday after Wentworth is the perfect spot, making it as easy as possible for the players and punters alike. I wonder if the schedule was miscommunicated.

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
Thank the Lord for this forum as I was all ready to go Monday for the day - would have turned up and felt a right muppet

Monday is a nightmare day for me workwise so unfortunately I wont be able to go now (and my son is also at school)

What a shame though :(

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
I had a hotel booked months ago in Sunningdale on Sunday to stay over aftercBMW PGA Championship at Wentworth. Was at Walton Heath last Tuesday with GM & found out only then it had been re-scheduled & will no longer be played there after this year 🙁 Not a happy bunny... 😏

D

Deleted Member 1156

Cheers guys, if that's the case it looks like so far 4 under gets in a playoff. Still a long way to go tho for some.

14 spaces and it's over 36 holes so a VERY long way to go.