US Open qualifying at Walton Heath

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I love it there. Always in good nick (apart from last time when they had treated the greens and they were a disgrace and had it not been a freebie I'd have been wanting a refund. They should have been on temps) Some really tough holes especially 14-16 across the top of the downs and into the wind. Very different to Surrey Downs which is 400 yards down the road and seems far more open (reminds me of the Oxfordshire)

Played there last year and thought they were the weakness of the course as its basically the same exact drive 3 times in a row. Otherwise really impressed with the place

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Played there last year and thought they were the weakness of the course as its basically the same exact drive 3 times in a row. Otherwise really impressed with the place

I don't understand this comment at all!

For a start, those holes run in different directions, the fairway slopes are different and the bunker avoidance changes! If you mean that smashing a (straight or slightly drawn) Drive as far as you can gives you a huge benefit, then that's fine! But that's almost always the case anywhere!

Btw. Best Eagle (not on a Par 3) I've seen was on 14! 4 iron, 7 iron to gimmee length!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't understand this comment at all!

For a start, those holes run in different directions, the fairway slopes are different and the bunker avoidance changes! If you mean that smashing a (straight or slightly drawn) Drive as far as you can gives you a huge benefit, then that's fine! But that's almost always the case anywhere!

Btw. Best Eagle (not on a Par 3) I've seen was on 14! 4 iron, 7 iron to gimmee length!

They don't? They are straight along the boundary fence on the left, each with a drive where the tee is slightly offset to the left so you are hitting into the fairway which cambers back towards you. They also all three have a bunker on the left at 240. We must be thinking about different holes.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
They don't? They are straight along the boundary fence on the left, each with a drive where the tee is slightly offset to the left so you are hitting into the fairway which cambers back towards you. They also all three have a bunker on the left at 240. We must be thinking about different holes.

Ha! I thought this was about WH! Not Kingswood! Doh! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

tigertot

Medal Winner
Visit site
Fabulous Facility .Both courses are amazing. Make sure you check out the James Braid museum if you have any interest in golf traditions. This is a top quality track.Braid taught WG GRACE and Churchill at this venue. Kitchener's famous WW1 poster "your country needs you" was conceived on its fairways.There is a fantastic book about the course and its history called Heather and Heaven by Phil Pilley. Totally recommended.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
So they have an actual parking lot there? Just asking because for the Open Championship qualifiers at Sunningdale you had to park on the road somewhere
You park in a field/practice area threat leads to the 17th tee on the old course.
a good place to see lots of action is by the 1st green/2nd tee on the new course and 17grren on the old as there all pretty close together

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My thinking exactly, I'm abroad at the minute did it dump it down overnight? How many places are there? I haven't seen any announcement re that but the number will have to be something a bit lower than the -5 or -6 it normally is.

I seen last night on twitter it was between 9-11 places available, which currently sits at -7 getting in.

D

Deleted member 16999

The link Fundy posted says 111 players playing for 15 spots

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Just back from watching the first round. Some great golf out there today in warm weather with some very light showers around. The courses are in great nick but I guess I was surprised how many short putts I saw missed

Bumped into some forum guys Dando, Radbourne and TXL on my wanderings.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Picked up beefs group in the morning and followed them for 10 or so holes then headed to the back of the first green on the new course and watched 2 eagle putts drop.
decided to then head to the 3rd tee on the old course and followed Scott hend and the Lucas something or other - mrs dando and myself doubled the gallery for that group but we got to chat with the players and also Hendys caddie who is a decent guy.
had a great day in decent weather

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great day. Thanks a lot for mentioning, it was a much better experience than Wentworth.

I followed Beef and Dredge for both rounds had a good chat with them both, was awesome to see them both qualify.

The 10 under par 62 from Dredge was the best golf I have ever seen!

Last edited: