US Masters 2024

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Reports saying they have watered the greens overnight to soften them.

Sunday pins are always gettable.

Scoring should be lower tonight.
Someone will make a run from the pack but who.?
Fleetwood would earn me some real dosh at 50 to 1 but would be happy for a top 6 place as I've 4 of my 5 players made the cut & the current leader at 5 to 1.
However 'Sods-law' says I may actually get next to nothing!! :oops: :oops:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Well no greens are left to Mother nature, they are all cut prepared, drained watered etc.
The degree varies but without slick greens Augusta loses some of its tactical interest.
Maybe yesterday's went a little too far but I've seen worse at the US open.
Shinnecock Hills a few years ago when Lefty caught up with his putt after it had passed the hole and hit it while it was still moving................as a protest.

And Chambers Bay were interesting when they held the US Open there.

Ours are a bit tasty at the moment but for all the wrong reasons.

Springveldt

Visit site
Not sure if it’s been mentioned in the thread but I see Jason Day was asked to take off his ugly tank top by someone from Augusta.

I sometimes wonder if green jacket members sit around in the clubhouse laughing at all the hoops they get people to jump through just to play or even watch golf on their course.

This is a major yet golf is expected to feel privileged to be able to play there instead of them feeling privileged that golf is willing to play one of their major competitions there.

Personally wouldn’t bother me if golf decided the Players was now the 4th major and they never went back to Augusta.

Swango1980

Visit site
There seem to be a few people who hate a lot about the Masters, yet still also seem to be avid viewers.

Have people complained about the word "patrons" for years, or is this a relatively new pet hate?

In regards to that word (a regular customer I believe it is defined), it seems to make sense. As many of the spectators will be regular visitors, given it is on same course every year.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
This is a major yet golf is expected to feel privileged to be able to play there instead of them feeling privileged that golf is willing to play one of their major competitions there.
Nicely put, I read elsewhere that even some of the Pro’s are nervous around the place, feeling like they are walking on eggshells just waiting for someone to point out an indiscretion. Reminds of when I went to Swinley Forest and Muirfield.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
There seem to be a few people who hate a lot about the Masters, yet still also seem to be avid viewers.

Have people complained about the word "patrons" for years, or is this a relatively new pet hate?

In regards to that word (a regular customer I believe it is defined), it seems to make sense. As many of the spectators will be regular visitors, given it is on same course every year.
I dislike the term “hate” and have not used it, I merely said I was becoming tired of the aloofness of the Augusta organisers.
By all means they can use the word “patrons” if they think it is fitting, but they shouldn’t have the power to stop, or restrict, or penalise people, including broadcasters, who use the term “spectators”. America - land of free speech, no ?

Attachments

• C334ECB0-4C95-4BE8-9790-9B82738A7FB5.jpeg
    C334ECB0-4C95-4BE8-9790-9B82738A7FB5.jpeg
    318.1 KB · Views: 11

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Every cloud has a silver lining, with golf coverage not starting until later I can now watch the Moto3, Moto2 and MotoGP.

Swango1980

Visit site
I dislike the term “hate” and have not used it, I merely said I was becoming tired of the aloofness of the Augusta organisers.
By all means they can use the word “patrons” if they think it is fitting, but they shouldn’t have the power to stop, or restrict, or penalise people, including broadcasters, who use the term “spectators”. America - land of free speech, no ?
Do the broadcasters actually get punished if somebody says "spectators"?

D-S

Visit site
Do the broadcasters actually get punished if somebody says "spectators"?
Don’t know, but watching the Amen Corner coverage just now the commentator talking about Tiger started his sentence with “Fans a round the globe, oh sorry Patrons around the world…….” so even people who aren’t there are patrons!
No problems with Augusta referring to them as that, but surely synonyms can’t hurt anyone - gallery, crowd, spectators, audience, fans etc.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I must say this feels like the minority view. I think he's a great presenter and I've seen plenty of people agreeing with that.
He's boring, he brings nothing to the conversation and really sucks up to everyone.

I want something more edgy and controversial.

I am fed up with most of the commentators not asking the hard questions. Sky and others pay millions and sometimes billions and just suck up, pointless having interviews if you can't ask about the good and bad. if I have to hear how amazing Tiger is by Nick again it will do my head in. I'm just waiting for him to get on his knees.

It's probably worse on the masters as there is such a lack of coverage he has to do more presenting, he's like, here is the course isn't it nice and green and shiny, oh look he hits the ball very far, oh Sir Nick blah blah, no content just pandering (IMO). I suppose I just switch him off for a few minutes on the other tournaments.

I will admit I have zero interest in hearing from commentators of any type that haven't done it. If you haven't won a major you can't tell me what it feels like, Sir Nick at least he has delivered across the board. In many sports we have a tendency to put these no marks on as experts when they aren't really.