US Golf holiday

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just started to do some loose planning for two years hence for big trip for a group of hopefully 8 of us. Looking for any hints/tips/sites, as well as gotchas to avoid.

I have done some looking on the UK golf holiday sites to get some baselines, but would be interested to hear of any decent US based sites, so I can then do some what ifs and comparisons with the flights and accommodation types etc.

Looking at Sea Island, Kiawah Island, Pinehurst and Florida as start points. I think Bandon is a stretch.

Thoughts?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't done a golf trip in the US but I have been to Florida and my BiL did do a golf trip in the same area. Based on both experiences, have a look at hiring a villa in the Davenport / Champions Gate area and book your golf separately. Anywhere in that area off the I4 is fine. There are endless villas available, not that expensive, particularly when divided between a group. There are loads of courses in that part of Florida, lots on here can advise the courses to play. Lots of restaurants around, chains of course, it's Florida, lots to do if you want a rest from the golf.

You don't mention when you may go. Avoid the summer months. It is hot, humid and there are thunderstorms pretty much every afternoon. I think Feb - June are the best times but others may give better info there.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We stay on Southern Dunes golf and country club. It’s on US27 check their website.
It’s one of the best courses in Florida.
Loads of places to eat and drink a very short walk so no designated driver.
Plus it’s far enough away from the Disney traffic which can be horrendous depending on dates.
quality courses all around inc Disney courses, Champions Gate , I can give you a list of cheaper ones as well if you need it.
We play places out in the sticks there are some stunning courses Redtail, Mission Inn etc.
We use Golfnow for our tee times or call the courses direct for a deal.
We stay away from Orlando and i4 as it’s a wacky races scenario.
If your going to do a bit of driving to golf etc ,it’s worth getting the Toll Sunpass or an equivalent for the duration of your stay.
This lets you use all the toll roads without stopping to pay every two miles it’s a pain in the butt.

A lot depends on how long you want to travel to play this gets very tiring for the driver..
We go April “ expensive “ or November “ cheaper “ but you have to be aware of course maintenance then.

Golden Florida are very good for villas, IPG as well
If you join the Virgin Swingers club ( I kid you not ) clubs go free.
Just one footnote drinking in the USA is very expensive so factor this in if you like a pint.
Don’t argue with a police officer is the best advice I was ever given ,they are not like our cops
If you need anymore nearer the time just ask.
It’s worth all the arranging the golf there is second to none imo.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Orlando golf is plentiful but mostly mediocre. Lots of accommodation and other stuff to do, though. Streamsong is a couple of hours drive and offers a Florida version of Bandon, if that is possible. Orange County National is much nearer town and pretty good. Championsgate is decent. If you go, check if there are any launches due from NASA and if so, visit the Space Center (sic). If you go to Universal, get fast passes.

If you fancy something different, Cabo. Fly to Mexico City and onward to Cabo. Some stunning golf and great resorts but prices to match. If you like open water marlin fishing, that is also pretty popular. Not much else to do other than play golf, eat, drink and lounge around the pool and beach, though.

My favourite place in the US is San Diego. Direct BA flights, great weather, chilled atmosphere and great golf.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just started to do some loose planning for two years hence for big trip for a group of hopefully 8 of us. Looking for any hints/tips/sites, as well as gotchas to avoid.

I have done some looking on the UK golf holiday sites to get some baselines, but would be interested to hear of any decent US based sites, so I can then do some what ifs and comparisons with the flights and accommodation types etc.

Looking at Sea Island, Kiawah Island, Pinehurst and Florida as start points. I think Bandon is a stretch.

Thoughts?

a forum meet in the US - well done for organising :ROFLMAO:

The Fader

Visit site
If you're looking at Florida - my #1 piece of advice would be book it all DIY. Flights, villa, car hire and golf.

As suggested earlier - the Davenport area is great - well connected via I4 / US 27 and far enough away from Disney mania.

A few courses I would consider to be amongst the better tracks without paying a king's ransom

World Woods - 2 x Pete Dye creations. Can usually get a great 36 hole rate
Southern Dunes
Mission Inn - another 36 hole complex
Orange County National - again 36 holes
Bella Colina
Redtail
The Club at Eaglebrook - stunning finishing hole
Championsgate Country Club
Providence - a good place to shed the jet lag early doors

And a few to probably avoid

Ridgewood Lakes
Remington
The Orange Lake complex
Mystic Dunes
Championsgate's 2 Greg Norman courses

And IMHO definitely avoid the Disney Courses. Over priced and very ordinary. Don't be seduced by their PGA Tour heritage. Much better value to be had elsewhere

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for replies so far - all good input. I am a seasoned US traveller (up to 26 states so far), mainly road trips with family and latterly the wife as kids have grown. So I am not averse to booking all the individual bits - some US web sites for golf course booking a la yourgolftravel.com would be good. If I'm honest my preference would be to avoid Florida, but some of the other guys will want an option. Loving some of the suggestions.

Re time of year - probably May, possibly October.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We stay on Southern Dunes golf and country club. It’s on US27 check their website.
It’s one of the best courses in Florida.
Loads of places to eat and drink a very short walk so no designated driver.
Plus it’s far enough away from the Disney traffic which can be horrendous depending on dates.
quality courses all around inc Disney courses, Champions Gate , I can give you a list of cheaper ones as well if you need it.
We play places out in the sticks there are some stunning courses Redtail, Mission Inn etc.
We use Golfnow for our tee times or call the courses direct for a deal.
We stay away from Orlando and i4 as it’s a wacky races scenario.
If your going to do a bit of driving to golf etc ,it’s worth getting the Toll Sunpass or an equivalent for the duration of your stay.
This lets you use all the toll roads without stopping to pay every two miles it’s a pain in the butt.

A lot depends on how long you want to travel to play this gets very tiring for the driver..
We go April “ expensive “ or November “ cheaper “ but you have to be aware of course maintenance then.

Golden Florida are very good for villas, IPG as well
If you join the Virgin Swingers club ( I kid you not ) clubs go free.
Just one footnote drinking in the USA is very expensive so factor this in if you like a pint.
Don’t argue with a police officer is the best advice I was ever given ,they are not like our cops
If you need anymore nearer the time just ask.
It’s worth all the arranging the golf there is second to none imo.

All we need now is which side of the road to drive on…….

D

Deleted member 23270

Myrtle Beach, massive selection of courses. Book flight, hotel and car as a package on ebookers or Expedia then golf on the last minute sites for the best deals.