Upgrading golf clubs - advice.

35torbracken

Visit site
Looking for some help please. Just taken the game up again after an absence of a good few years. Now playing once a week and making some improvements but I would probably be around 25 handicapper. I have an antiquated set of Slazenger clubs - courtesy of Mike Ashley - and don't think they'll cut it any more. Spent quite a bit of time researching options but bit overwhelmed with the choices.... wondering if buying a full set of better quality clubs would be the way to go, or replace gradually with new or second hand irons, extra wedges etc. And if doing it that way, what to go for, how much to spend etc. Would appreciate any tips. Thanks.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
welcome

if it was me I would look to get a set of decent second hand irons asap. if you get on well with your putter great, if not then getting one you do would be an immediate need too. After that I wouldnt rush too much to replace/switch the others (at the point where you are happy hitting driver off every tee then a new driver may be worthwhile too). Depending on what wedges you have, adding one or two may help a bit down the line

wrt irons, the usual recommendation are the Ping G series or Callaway X series but there are plenty of other options too, budget dependant. Buying off the shelf should be fine unless you are overly short or tall

one thing you will find is second hand clubs are a bit dearer currently due to higher demand due to covid

35torbracken

Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I've been thinking about going down the second hand route! First priority is to replace the dodgy Slazenger bag which lowers the tone of the club I've joined.? Looks like I could get a reasonable set of irons for 250-300 on eBay, might take a gamble on that.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I've been thinking about going down the second hand route! First priority is to replace the dodgy Slazenger bag which lowers the tone of the club I've joined.? Looks like I could get a reasonable set of irons for 250-300 on eBay, might take a gamble on that.

Wash your mouth out! ;)

Loads of great Slazenger clubs from back in the day, roughly in date order:
(None of these sets were more than £52)

1620724717902.png

1620724771709.png

1620724801942.png