Unpopular putters

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been committed to Never Compromise for many years. They can now be found under the Cleveland name.

As others have said it does depend on your preference for feel etc. e.g. I never liked the Yes putters because of the feel of the strike.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My first proper putter was a yes Emily. Must admit it was a little cracker.

From my own personal experience though they can be a little hot off the face if you strike it clean. Ping's the ball mighty quick.

Obviously my poor technique ment the chances of me doing this were limited mind you.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have been committed to Never Compromise for many years. They can now be found under the Cleveland name.

As others have said it does depend on your preference for feel etc. e.g. I never liked the Yes putters because of the feel of the strike.

Currently using a Never Compromise Milled series #2 and really enjoy it, in fact was looking for the #4 mallet version ideally but haven't been so lucky so trying a few different things out

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played another round with the Spalding Cash-In this evening, even with greens that had just been tined and sanded I returned a reasonable 32 putts, and that was using a manky old Penfold Ace red heart 1.62” ball.

Look it up, if you like a blade it's a good choice, as are so many old and forgotten putters.

Spalding Cash-In + Penfold Ace.jpg

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got an Edel, the fitting process is really eye opening and interesting. I didn't actually like mine when I got it at first but gone back to it recently and going to stick with it for the long haul, think it was such a big jump from what I had been using I couldn't get used to it at first and, in my true style, elected to buy another putter than stick with it :rofl:

If you're after cheaper good quality ones on the bay to try out take a look at Rife/Never Compromise/Cleveland/Mizuno MP putters :thup:

Alternatively I've a Ping and a Bettinardi to sell....... :whistle:

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played another round with the Spalding Cash-In this evening, even with greens that had just been tined and sanded I returned a reasonable 32 putts, and that was using a manky old Penfold Ace red heart 1.62” ball.

Look it up, if you like a blade it's a good choice, as are so many old and forgotten putters.

View attachment 23493

I think for the price I'll pick one up just to see how they feel

BomberSRL

Head Pro
Visit site
Just swapped over to the 2 ball white hot pro. Got it new as they are very cheap now. And didn't like the feel of the o works. But have no idea why I haven't got one sooner!!!

D

Deleted member 18588

Radius putters are excellent.

Very pleased with my Tour Concept although the headcover might not be to everyone's taste

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I read through this thread and found it really interesting.

Now I may well get shot down in flames here :smirk: but of all the clubs in the bag I always reckon the putter's the one where manufacturer's science and snake oil marketing spiel will carry least weight. I learnt to putt into a baked bean can in our front garden with an old wooden shafted Bobby Jones effort. (Aye 'appen times were reet tough lad)

I have a Ping Sedona (20 years old) and I have always used it since joing a club and becoming obsessed with golf. It's a simple thing with an unfussy design and like all clubs it's capricious - sometimes it behaves itself and other times it doesn't, but when it doesn't I only have to remember the good times to realise that there's nowt wrong with it.

I won a Scotty Newport a few years ago in a raffle but after putting with it on the lounge carpet I could see no benefit in its £320 price tag other than its undoubtedly very very very tasty aesthetics. So I chopped it back in to the Pro. I was unsure what its phenomenal cost brought to the table. Certainly nothing tangible for me, but I'm a simple mid-handicapper so...what the heck do I know?