Unpopular golfing opinions

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was disappointed that Jack Nicklaus offered a political opinion. Sports people should not indulge unless they become politicians.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going out for a friendly knock with fewer than 14 clubs is a waste of time - it is essential that a full 14 plus all the gear must be taken out at all times - necessitating the use of a bag the size of which could comfortably accommodate the average junior.

well you have to have someone to carry the drinks trolley as well.

Mandofred

Visit site
What about golf fanatics? There are probably more of them than religious fanatics these days.
Very true, sitting in the clubhouse after a round is everybody just waiting their turn to bore each other to death with a blow by blow account of bad luck and could have's.
This is exactly what happened when I used to race......boring as heck. golf....still boring as heck. Football....yep, boring as heck. It's important to you.....but to others? No much.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Over complication of a game that just requires you just to hit the ball.. is snooker the same ?? ( actually don’t answer that)

sunshine

Visit site
Don't think you'll find that much fanaticism in the vast majority of religious bodies in the UK - certainly not mainstream Christian denominations which is all I can comment upon. In any case - as I mentioned on the Coronavirus thread - I expected churches to have been closed.

That said - I know that for many of our more elderly members - especially for those who live alone - the church is their main place of social interaction and very important to them for their mental wellbeing. Not saying that that is a good reason for keeping churches open at the moment - but just pointing out the importance for many of meeting with friends.

Wow, where to start with this! The whole point of lockdown is to reduce social interaction. All types of social clubs have been shut, it's incredible that people think they can behave irresponsibly by bringing God into the equation. If God is omni-present, attendance at church cannot possibly be essential. To be fair, most religious leaders have been pretty cautious in their comments.

There is an interesting debate going on in Greece right now where the Orthodox Church is defying the government by opening for Epiphany. Shocking.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow, where to start with this! The whole point of lockdown is to reduce social interaction. All types of social clubs have been shut, it's incredible that people think they can behave irresponsibly by bringing God into the equation. If God is omni-present, attendance at church cannot possibly be essential. To be fair, most religious leaders have been pretty cautious in their comments.

There is an interesting debate going on in Greece right now where the Orthodox Church is defying the government by opening for Epiphany. Shocking.
I'm sure God will understand churches being closed, given that he/she gave us Covid in the first place. Presumably.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think many religious people believe they can't catch COVID in church, because God is protecting them.
The same people that say God is all around but have to go to a quite specific building to talk to him when frankly anywhere should suffice. Whether a god would have allowed this virus in the first place...well thats a whole different question.