Unplayable ball

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Am I right in thinking that I can declare a ball unplayable anywhere apart from a water hazard ? For example if I attempted to chip on the green and the ball rolled off the green into a bunker or even on the fairway and I did not fancy the shot , I could in theory just pick the ball up and play the shot again under penalty of 1 shot as close to the original position ? I am not saying I would do this or that is very sporting, but would I be correct in thinking that I could do this ?

Only asking as playing yesterday we were talking about unplayable balls and the person I was with stated it was only if I could not safely play the shot .

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Am I right in thinking that I can declare a ball unplayable anywhere apart from a water hazard ? For example if I attempted to chip on the green and the ball rolled off the green into a bunker or even on the fairway and I did not fancy the shot , I could in theory just pick the ball up and play the shot again under penalty of 1 shot as close to the original position ? I am not saying I would do this or that is very sporting, but would I be correct in thinking that I could do this ?

Only asking as playing yesterday we were talking about unplayable balls and the person I was with stated it was only if I could not safely play the shot .

The other player was wrong. You can declare the ball unplayable when it is sitting in middle of the fairway, if you so desire, and you are the sole judge. You are correct that a water hazard is the sole exception in which you cannot do so.

In a bunker, the same options apply as anywhere else - stroke and distance, keep spot between you and hole or 2 club lengths. If you choose 2 club lengths, you have to drop the ball in the bunker.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
In a bunker, the same options apply as anywhere else - stroke and distance, keep spot between you and hole or 2 club lengths. If you choose 2 club lengths, you have to drop the ball in the bunker.

Keeping the spot between the ball and flag going backwards still needs to be dropped in the bunker, only stoke and distance (going back to original spot last played) allows you to drop outside the bunker.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The reason for the water hazard being excepted is that there are laid down rules that specifically cover the eventuality of landing in te hazard so there is no need for the unplayable ball rule

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right- to jump in here....

Par3. Bunkers surrounding the front of the green. I stick the ball in one where it would be perfectly escapable for decent bunker players. I am not one of them.

Can I pick up my ball and drop it within two club lengths of the ball's original position (in a line from the flag to the original position) even though it's outside the bunker on the fairway?

Is the penalty one stroke?

I'm guessing that if I drop the ball and it rolls back into the bunker, I have to play it from where it lies in the bunker or take another drop with a further 1 shot penalty?

This is a revelation to me. My local course has a few huge pothole bunkers which pretty much render my hole finished. Also, if the above is correct, would it be seen as 'poor form' or 'outside the spirit of the game' to take advantage of this rule?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah actually, just read the rule:

If your ball is in a water hazard and you do not wish to play it as it lies, you must proceed under the water hazard Rule - the unplayable ball Rule does not apply. Elsewhere on the course, if you believe your ball is unplayable, you may under penalty of one stroke:

play a ball from where your last shot was played, or
drop a ball any distance behind the point where the ball lay keeping a straight line between the hole, the point where the ball lay and the spot on which the ball is dropped, or
drop a ball within two club-lengths of where the ball lies not nearer the hole.

If your ball is in a bunker you may proceed as above, except that if you are dropping back on a line or within two club-lengths, you must drop a ball in the bunker.

So when I put a ball into a bunker, I can either:

a) Take my shot again from the tee
b) Drop the ball in a more favourable bunker position

Hmmm

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
My local course has a few huge pothole bunkers which pretty much render my hole finished. Also, if the above is correct, would it be seen as 'poor form' or 'outside the spirit of the game' to take advantage of this rule?

Well, now you know it wouldn't be outside the spirit of the game, as you are not allowed to do it :)

If you did take that drop outside the bunker, you would be penalised 2 strokes for playing from a wrong place and given that it is likely to be serious breach of the rule (ie you gained a significant advantage from doing it) you would have to go back and play from the correct place - yes, you're ahead of me - back in the bunker, 2 strokes worse off and nothing gained.

Your best plan is stroke and distance ......... and hope you don't go back into the bunker, 2 strokes worse off and nothing gained. :eek:

Some game this golf, isn't it.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well, now you know it wouldn't be outside the spirit of the game, as you are not allowed to do it :)

If you did take that drop outside the bunker, you would be penalised 2 strokes for playing from a wrong place and given that it is likely to be serious breach of the rule (ie you gained a significant advantage from doing it) you would have to go back and play from the correct place - yes, you're ahead of me - back in the bunker, 2 strokes worse off and nothing gained.

Your best plan is stroke and distance ......... and hope you don't go back into the bunker, 2 strokes worse off and nothing gained. :eek:

There is another alternative that would be even better. :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Getting a lesson in bunker play, perhaps? ;)

Perhaps :)

It has to be the biggest differential between the ease of playing the shot and the fear it induces in the whole of golf.

I wonder how many people that say they can't play out of bunkers actually spend even 10 minutes a week in one practising.

Anyway, far far off topic from me considering we're in the rules section. I'll shut up now :eek: :)

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site

What does this mean please?

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What does this mean please?

Stroke and distance means:
Stroke - you incur a one stroke penalty
Distance - you play from the position of your previous shot.

Example: You hit your second shot from the fairway OOB. The penalty is stroke and distance.
So you take a penalty of one shot (hence "stroke"), and must play your next shot from the same spot as your previous one, so you have not gained any distance (hence "and distance").
So you are now playing your next shot from the same spot, and whilst you were originally playing your second you hit it OOB, so your third was a penalty stroke and you are now playing your fourth.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe I'm thinking of when I see golfers on the TV do a drop. Would this only be because they are dropping from next to a temporary object?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe I'm thinking of when I see golfers on the TV do a drop. Would this only be because they are dropping from next to a temporary object?
Maybe but unless you can describe what you have seen then cannot be sure. You can take a drop under penalty within two club lengths of where a ball has entered a lateral water hazard.