Understanding Rory's swing

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi all, There seem to be a good number of students of golf swings on here, so I thought a collective analysis of one of the best in the business, Rory McIlroy, might be interesting.

When I look at this swing I'm struck by the positions he gets into. First the width of the swing is such that he almost appears to take it away outside the line, but is that what's happening?

And from the top of the swing, the club seems to drop down on the inside from where he can hit the big draw. Again, am I seeing things? I'd really be interested to hear other views, as I'm really keen to learn more about how to "read" swings, wiht a view to understanding my own better.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
good topic

according to my local pro his hips massiveley rotate out of the way, at impact they're virtually facing the target

not something us amateurs should try and imitate apparentley

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
good topic

according to my local pro his hips massiveley rotate out of the way, at impact they're virtually facing the target

not something us amateurs should try and imitate apparentley

The hip turn in relation to the clubhead lag is phenomenal. His hips are well past 45* from square by the time the clubhead reaches the ball

As you say, this is probably not the swing I would post if I was trying to emulate one, but it is pretty amazing to analyse it piece by peice :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Here's the position I like.
Note the left arm is still more or less fully extended.
No chicken wing there :)

RORY-1.jpg

Sundance

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think I remember seeing a post about his swing on here and how his hips are actually rotating backwards at some point during. IIRC the commentator explained that his hips rotate in the opposite direction at a faster rpm than an amateurs does in the expected direction (towards the target). It was a very interesting video just a shame I cant remember what it was called.*

*After a little browse on google here is the video (second in the list)
Rory Reverse Hip Rotation

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
All really interesting stuff, thanks chaps.

One Q I still have based on my OP. In most of these slo-mo swings of the top players, particularly on the driver, they almost look like they take the club away outside the line. Is that really what's happening, or is it just nice and wide?

Does the fact that is looks outside just prove that most of us have narrow, insidey takeaways in a misguided attempt to produce a draw?

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
IMO the clubhead can appear outside of the line on takeway due to either the camera position or early wrist hinge (Ricky Fowler Like). Not much early wrist hinge with Rory however. Assuming the camera position is behind Rory's hands (no reason to doubt this) then he does take the club away (very slightly) on the outside. I put my PCs curser on the edge of his hands. IMO hands are the key - not the clubhead.
If the camera angle is behind his hands it will mask to some degree to what extent he drops the club on the inside on the way down. However, it does appear that he does this, not quote Garcia like, but not far off!

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
I think sometimes because of the length of the driver and the angle of the wrists at address it looks like they take away outside the line, a bit exaggerated.

Think if you watch the arms back they will be on a good plane.
Just a thought

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good slow motion clip

I think he is either closing the face on the immediate takeaway, or maintaining it square -0 he doesnt rotate his forearm, as is common.
also note he does not lift his left heel on the backswing, which surprised me, because for someone with a renowned hip turn on the downswing, i though he would have got that from teh stepping action from one foot to the other.

His full wrist cock seems to come only right at the end of the backswing, allowing him to really load the shaft.

His club line at teh top of backswing is below his initial shoulder-ball plane,

And finally, his right arm is not yet straight at impact, which i find particualrly interesting, but then i'm funny like that !