Under Armour day at Old Thorns

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Firstly, a big thank you to Golf Monthly for giving me the opportunity to attend the Under Armour day at Old Thorns today, what a shame I left my golf game at home, sorry Paul!

The purpose of the day was for UA to show members of the golf media a couple of products that will be available in the very near future. The first product was a product called "Performance mouthwear". This is something similar to a gumshield but not as big and is meant to "unlock the power of your jaw". Unfortunately I had a small mishap and was not able to use the product so cannot comment on it. The second product was a compression top called Armour Stability, it had extra support "panels" for the lower back muscles.

After tea and a bacon roll we all went into one of the conference rooms to hear the "science" behind the products then it was off to the course having first put on the top and been fitted for the mouthwear. Putting the top on must have been entertaining for anyone watching, it was a tight fit (as designed) and the expression "wrestling an alligator" seemed quite appropriate.

The top was from UA's heatgear range and as such did its job in keeping us all cool on what was an almost perfect weather day. I found that the top kept me slightly too cool, maybe if the wind had not been as strong I would have been fine. I must have thin blood from living in the tropics for too long.

Highlight of the round of golf was being joined by Ross Fisher on the course's 4th hole a par 3 of 143 yards. Ross managed to bogey the hole which still beat me but one of the players in our group managed a birdie :)

Back to the product. I am not a lover of tight fitting clothing when I play golf as I usually feel restricted, so having a tight fitting top was not really my cup of tea and may have had an influence on why I did not play so well. Well, maybe not as the main pressure points were round the lower back area and not the shoulders/upper arms which is where I usually feel restricted. I just played total rubbish! The top cannot be blamed for that! Although the top is a tight fit, it did not restrict the swing at all, it is just a case of me needing to get used to it.

One really good thing that I did notice after the round, and another wrestling match to get the top off, was that my lower back did not feel as tired as usual. I will therefore be giving the top another outing in the near future (as soon as Mrs TXL has washed it). I am sure the top will also be really good for those days when I marshal at European Tour events and spend all day on my feet walking the course.

A small plug for Old Thorns. The course is not a long one but it is quite tight and tricky. It was in good condition considerring the dry spell we have had for the last month or so. As it is based on clay the moisture that is present in the land had been retained and as such the fairways and tees were in very good condition. The greens were slower than I am use to but provided you put a good positive stroke on the ball, they were fine. One note of caution regarding the course, find out where the pin is on the 15th and make sure your second shot finds the correct level - there is a drop of five or six feet between the two levels! Oh, and did I mention that it is a blind second shot!

The hotel complex has had a huge amount of money spent both in adding facilities and extending existing ones and once it is all completed later this year, it could make a good venue for an event. Dare I say it, you could even take your partner with you and they could enjoy the spa facilities whilst you are on the course - ducks to avoid incoming :)

Thanks again to GM and as I said to Paul, opportunities like this that you give to us readers is one thing that makes this site and the magazine the best.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice review TXL, i wear UA in the winter and it did take me a little while to get used to wearing skin tight clothing. However, it is worth persevering with as it is top quality gear.

BUT........,..,.,,.performance mouthware!!! :D

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your small mishap Anthony. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Sounds like a good day, but feel free not to post any pictures of you in tight clothing. ;) ;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The first person to turn up for my Saturday swindle wearing 'performance mouthware' is going to get a bit of a ripping.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
F_200707_July17DAVE_342091a.jpg

Mongoose

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great report TXL. I am surprised you found the greens acceptable at Old Thorns as I played it less than 2 weeks ago and they were appalling, very slow and incredibly bumpy, short putts were a nightmare. Ive played there 4 times in the last year and every time the greens have been aweful. They seem to put all their spend into continually extending the hotel with little heed to the golf course.

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your small mishap Anthony. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Sounds like a good day, but feel free not to post any pictures of you in tight clothing. ;) ;)

The UA top made a big difference, the need for a wok to do the ironing of shirts will not be needed any more :) :)

As for the mishap, that will probably prove to be quite expensive :( - what is UA's address?

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Great report TXL. I am surprised you found the greens acceptable at Old Thorns as I played it less than 2 weeks ago and they were appalling, very slow and incredibly bumpy, short putts were a nightmare. Ive played there 4 times in the last year and every time the greens have been aweful. They seem to put all their spend into continually extending the hotel with little heed to the golf course.

The practice green was as you describe, very slow and very bumpy. I hit 2 putts and walked off hoping that the course ones were not going to be the same, the course greens were somewhat better. According to the guy we spoke to, they have spent a lot of time and money on the greens this year but he did blame the snow & rain for them not being at their best.

S

Snelly

Interesting review. Although I don't think I will ever buy one of their tops!

As for the greens and the effect of the harsh winter on them, I am skeptical. The reason being that Hindhead GC (where I am playing tomorrow) is about 5 miles up the road from Old Thorns and the greens there are like snooker tables!

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Suspect the difference in the greens is partially due to the base soil - sandy at Hindhead & Blackmoor, clay at Old Thorns, then it is down to the greenkeepers!

SteveBonners

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the report TLX. Sounds like a good day.

I wear UA in the winter and they are great products.

Am not sure about "unlocking the power of the jaw"!!!!! There are a few folks I have played with who seem able to talk all the time when playing. Will this help them?