Uncalled for comments

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Luckily, it seems that the vast majority of members at my local are good guys (and gals). They seem very supportive and appreciate the fact that we all started out from somewhere.

So, after only my 2nd ever comp, I was sat in the clubhouse having a few beers and was discussing equipment needs. I mentioned that I could do with a fairway 3 (only having a 5i in the bag which I still struggle with and then my driver), as well as a new putter (current one is probably 30-40 years old).

Upon hearing this, one of the members piped up, saying that he was playing behind my group and that I should learn to hit the ball straight first!
Now, I don't profess to be a great player and some of my shots go amiss, but I thought that was totally uncalled for - there wasn't even a tone of jest or banter in the way that he said it. Maybe he is gifted and has hit nothing put straight of the bat since he first picked up a club!

Snide little comments like that are totally uncalled for and are in no helpful to higher HC'ers, nor does it encourage comp entry or the social side of the game.

I guess that there always are a few bad apples - those that forget that they had to start from somewhere.
Is this a common thing that you guys come across? I totally get the post-round banter / piss taking, but there is no way whatsoever that the comment was meant as such.

BTW, I did go ahead and buy both clubs the following week and having played them twice so far, am reasonably encouraged with initial results, but it will take a at least a few more rounds to get used to.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd definitely say the guy has a point, nothing worse than being stuck behind a hack who doesn't let you through

I absolutely agree with you there, but our group was keeping pace with the group ahead and in no way slowing the group behind us. That is unless, with a packed course, your expectation is to see the group in front just putting out the hole ahead.

If the group behind had of asked to play through, then I wouldn't of had a problem, but they didn't (because we weren't unduly holding up play).
During the whole round I lost 1 ball (I don't use the max 5 min to find the ball...you just know when there's no hope and carry on), and probably hit 4 or 5 wayward long shots the whole round, and by that, I mean not hitting the centre of the fairway!

Total contrast to the 4some in front of me the other day (in buggies) that I was right on their coattails for 4 holes and failed to offer me (on my own) to play through. Had to stand there on the tee waving my driver like a looney before they realised and let me through. Was sat on the clubhouse patio for almost an hour before I saw them coming up the 18th.

Remember, there is a big difference between an ok player and a group of complete hackers.
Not to mention that 2 of their group were not suitably dressed (football shirts / no collar), ok our club is not particularly strict on dress code, but there are limits!!!
Same group that left clubs around the green whilst being on the next tee.
Our club has a 9 hole par 3 course that is very much suited to visitors like that.

Sorry to go off at a tangent, but your reply was both ill-informed, jumping to a conclusion and not conducive to this discussion.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe he could have put it to you better but the following group has a good idea of your game if the course is rammed.

It could be that getting it down the middle will remove the need for a 3 wood, which I think you are unlikely to need. They are harder to hit off the tee for newer players and useles of the fairway until you really understand woods.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Best think up a good reposte when someone throws in a comment like that. Maybe turn it into a joke, and make him look like a knob. Equally, if you're struggling to hit mid irons and woods yet waiting for every green to clear before you then don't reach the green with your second shot maybe he has a point. Badly put but maybe a bit of self analysis might suggest there's a grain of truth...

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It could also just be a bit of light hearted banter. At our place there is a general sense of winding each other up with little jokes, but nobody takes it seriously and you just give it back twice as much 😂

If anything I think it helps you not get too down about a bad round or bad shot. I have found it's made me react better if I play badly and that there is always the next round to put it right!

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Difficult to tell without being there. Could have just been light-hearted, or he could be a bell-end. There are a lot of them about.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hobbit has a point, if you can't reach the green with a second shot an you long shots tend to be a little wayward, then lay up, move forward and play a short iron to the green, this lets the group behind tee off and keeps a reasonable pace of play.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I would just take it as bit of banter. I play at the sort of club where most players indulge in these sort of comments.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's only banter if you have any type of personal relationship with this individual. From what you describe you don't seem to which makes him a bit of a dick. Although there is apparently a club he'd fit right into😉.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Really depends on the reason for the guy saying it!

If it was purely from a 'general advice' point of view, then it's actually pretty good advice! But if you consider yourself 'straight enough', then feel free to ignore it!

If it was purely from a we were behind you and he thought you were holding them up, then, given that what you stated about not slowing them down, there's even more reason to ignore it!

Get the inference?

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He's an idiot...ignore him and enjoy your game. Like all walks of life you get both good and bad

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Luckily, it seems that the vast majority of members at my local are good guys (and gals). They seem very supportive and appreciate the fact that we all started out from somewhere.

So, after only my 2nd ever comp, I was sat in the clubhouse having a few beers and was discussing equipment needs. I mentioned that I could do with a fairway 3 (only having a 5i in the bag which I still struggle with and then my driver), as well as a new putter (current one is probably 30-40 years old).

Upon hearing this, one of the members piped up, saying that he was playing behind my group and that I should learn to hit the ball straight first!
Now, I don't profess to be a great player and some of my shots go amiss, but I thought that was totally uncalled for - there wasn't even a tone of jest or banter in the way that he said it. Maybe he is gifted and has hit nothing put straight of the bat since he first picked up a club!

Snide little comments like that are totally uncalled for and are in no helpful to higher HC'ers, nor does it encourage comp entry or the social side of the game.

I guess that there always are a few bad apples - those that forget that they had to start from somewhere.
Is this a common thing that you guys come across? I totally get the post-round banter / piss taking, but there is no way whatsoever that the comment was meant as such.

BTW, I did go ahead and buy both clubs the following week and having played them twice so far, am reasonably encouraged with initial results, but it will take a at least a few more rounds to get used to.

Depends on the tone. We have some notorious tortoises and because we know them and they know it themselves, we give them some stick but I wouldn't dream of doing it to a stranger or new member. Providing the group I was in wasn't out of position and had lost more than half a hole then I'd be happy with it all. Ignore him, put it down to ill placed banter and move on. IF he comes back again and has another go I'd be having quiet words especially if he's never met/played with you

I'd definitely say the guy has a point, nothing worse than being stuck behind a hack who doesn't let you through

What a charming man you must be on your three hour sprint around the course. The OP said he was keeping up so there wasn't an issue.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My own grandad gave me a bit of a dig on sunday at a family BBQ

I have really improved recently.. finally cracking 100 more often and been out with my uncle recently and smashed 94 with him with about 5 x 3 putts.. so could have been so much better...

anyways my grandad has never been a decent golfer.. at all but was a member at this course for about 20 years.. I was a member for 2 years to play with him more.. but I left after a while to explore more courses.. anyways I went back monday and my dad goes oh Pauls playing top meadow tomorrow.. he says infront of everyone in a rude way "oh you wont break 100 at top meadow" bear in mind this course isnt actually all that at all its nice enough but its not like its woburn or something its just a public course that has a lot of ditches lol

so I went away fuming determined to prove him wrong

started off on the par 3.... not a hard par 3.. slightly down hill tree lined .. started off with a triple bogey.. god sake. (shanked my tee off then flew my chip over the back)

next hole par 4... double bogey

come to the par 5 manage to get on in 3.. buzzing.. 3 putt for a bogey think least its progress

next hole back of the green in 3 (par 4) putted in off the green for a par

the round was summed up with the 16th par 4 when I shanked my approach but managed to chip in for bogey..

walked off with a 95... delighted

this week my scores have been 95 and 98

my grandad was very humble today when I saw him