Unbelievable

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lately the scores at my golf club have been unbelievable, scores of 47,44,2 x45 are just crazy on a quite tough course.
One 45 pointer with a blob made my eyes pop.
2 over par on the front then,birdie,eagle,birdie,eagle,par,birdie.
On holes with indexes 7,1 and 5 included.
7 under after 6 holes on the back 9 then finished bogey,double bogey,bogey,all this done by an 18 handicapper.
Also no par 3s so holed out on 2 occasions.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I assume the fairways are running a pretty long way.

Obviously massively shortens a course. I remember playing at my last course - the 1st hole is a long(ish) par 4 up a slight incline. Very daunting for most players, even decent drivers, to try and get on in two. (especially as amateurs, we don't appreciate that laying up is actually a reasonable play)

Generally a drive and then everything you've got with a rescue (given the wet conditions in Glasgow). After a few weeks of dry weather, this turned into a drive and a pitching wedge.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Noticed this trend too - particularly with the seniors, some of whom are probably enjoying the extra bit of roll on the ball!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Noticed this trend too - particularly with the seniors, some of whom are probably enjoying the extra bit of roll on the ball!

I'm not on about rollout of the ball all these holes will leave you with 80- 180 yards in depending on your drive length,and to hole out twice and birdie3 holes is quite remarkable for an 18 handicapper.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have a crop of young low handicap guys, who are shooting low most weeks.

rarely got scores less than 70 gross, there seems to be a score in the 60's gross most weeks by one of them. Same with the sunday stablefords, you would win quite comfortably with 38 point the last few years. now its scores in the 40's which was unheard of unless a high handicap had the round of there life in prev years.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not on about rollout of the ball all these holes will leave you with 80- 180 yards in depending on your drive length,and to hole out twice and birdie3 holes is quite remarkable for an 18 handicapper.

It can happen, depends on how much practice the person puts in and I dare say said person is no longer playing off 18 and will have received some large cuts.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site

So what are you on about then ? Your OP doesn't attribute these scores to anything at all, perhaps just good fortune on the part of these players ?
It is hardly a co-incidence that there are lots of abnormally good scores being recorded at the moment and in the main by players with plenty of shots in their handicap, and the on set of the dry weather and high temperatures that have baked the fairways hard creating massive run on the ball.
A lot of high handicap players are hitting the same clubs they always hit but instead of coming up short are finding greens easily within their 'net regulation'.
Personally I find it a big turn off. I am a fan of links golf where the ball runs true and fair, but parkland courses with baked and cracked fairways with silly bounces just isn't my thing.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It comes up time and time again but I'm always surprised at the level of surprise. People with teen handicaps often have the ability to par holes they just don't do it consistently, but when it clicks these scores are easy.

I play off 13, not a member now due to time so arguably old handicap but done with quite a few rounds previously, and on a new course I scored 37 points with 4 blobs the other week. 37 putts in the round so many 1 foot par putts.

For the 14 holes I was +1 gross including a three putt par on the last (and I'm probably playing once a month currently), the other 4 holes I was about 12 over due to a shot that put me in trouble on each hole. It's unlikely to happen, but there isn't a hole I can't par (on a normal course) if I get it right so have the potential to score high stableford points, sadly I just have the ability to add triples to the card as well so it rarely happens and a score in the 30s is the norm.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
So what are you on about then ? Your OP doesn't attribute these scores to anything at all, perhaps just good fortune on the part of these players ?
It is hardly a co-incidence that there are lots of abnormally good scores being recorded at the moment and in the main by players with plenty of shots in their handicap, and the on set of the dry weather and high temperatures that have baked the fairways hard creating massive run on the ball.
A lot of high handicap players are hitting the same clubs they always hit but instead of coming up short are finding greens easily within their 'net regulation'.
Personally I find it a big turn off. I am a fan of links golf where the ball runs true and fair, but parkland courses with baked and cracked fairways with silly bounces just isn't my thing.

I would be very surprised if more than a handful of the low handicaps on here have been 7 under on 6 holes.
I'm not disputing it can happen,however I played the same day and the hard ground was making it difficult to get close let alone 2 eagles and 3 birdies.
This is certainly not a rant at high handicappers at all,the other guy who had 45 points plays in our group and is quite a steady player off about 13 I think.
Having played the same day as I said and knowing the conditions 7 under in 6 holes unbelievable.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
It comes up time and time again but I'm always surprised at the level of surprise. People with teen handicaps often have the ability to par holes they just don't do it consistently, but when it clicks these scores are easy.

I play off 13, not a member now due to time so arguably old handicap but done with quite a few rounds previously, and on a new course I scored 37 points with 4 blobs the other week. 37 putts in the round so many 1 foot par putts.

For the 14 holes I was +1 gross including a three putt par on the last (and I'm probably playing once a month currently), the other 4 holes I was about 12 over due to a shot that put me in trouble on each hole. It's unlikely to happen, but there isn't a hole I can't par (on a normal course) if I get it right so have the potential to score high stableford points, sadly I just have the ability to add triples to the card as well so it rarely happens and a score in the 30s is the norm.

I'm not surprised at 45 points its been happening for weeks now.

And its not a rant either I play in every comp.
My main objective is lowering my own handicap

D

Deleted member 1418

Lately the scores at my golf club have been unbelievable, scores of 47,44,2 x45 are just crazy on a quite tough course.
One 45 pointer with a blob made my eyes pop.
2 over par on the front then,birdie,eagle,birdie,eagle,par,birdie.
On holes with indexes 7,1 and 5 included.
7 under after 6 holes on the back 9 then finished bogey,double bogey,bogey,all this done by an 18 handicapper.
Also no par 3s so holed out on 2 occasions.

Don't worry mate, it's not proper golf apparently so technically doesn't count. You can now breathe deeply and relax!!! ;) :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Lad off 16 I played with on Saturday had a difficult front nine and scored 14 pts. Back 9 he didn't actually play that much better (though he thought he did) other than keeping it on the short stuff a bit more often off the tee - and he scored 26pts. So 40 in total. I knocked it on 4 over gross and also scored 40. I can't score many more than that - but my buddy could. Doh!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There have been some " impressive " scores at our place of late. I suppose one could raise there eyebrows, but the last four 18 hole comps I have played in. I have been smashing it at anything from 4 to six under with 4 holes to play, and have massively blown up. Last round I was five under after 14 and dropped 8 shots in the last four holes. Seething was an understatement. Had a natter with our head green keeper and he said the more I put myself in that 4-6 under scenario the more it will end up well at the end of the day. hope so.