Twos.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It was a quadruple roll over on Tuesday. One of our seniors won £120. Anyway, pro in the shop was telling us that one of the lower handicappers was ummin and arrin about entering the comp and decided not to coz it was very windy.
Only went and smacked an hole in one on our seventh. 😂

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It was a quadruple roll over on Tuesday. One of our seniors won £120. Anyway, pro in the shop was telling us that one of the lower handicappers was ummin and arrin about entering the comp and decided not to coz it was very windy.
Only went and smacked an hole in one on our seventh. 

Pathetic if not entering comp cos low handicap

Just a fake handicap then, only playing when weather suits

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't enter two's coz I never get one. I just put a quid in a tin at home. I win much more that way. Plus it's always the same people picking up on two's and always four or more to share the pot. Not worth it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
No, just someone who knows that the CSS calculation is flawed & doesn't reflect how much harder the course is in difficult conditions.

I think you and Dasit are saying the same thing but with different opinions on the practice

I'll never be good enough to have to face a decision at that level but I'd like to think I'd still play golf regardless (protecting a handicap under any weather circumstance seems wrong from my perspective)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think you and Dasit are saying the same thing but with different opinions on the practice

I'll never be good enough to have to face a decision at that level but I'd like to think I'd still play golf regardless (protecting a handicap under any weather circumstance seems wrong from my perspective)

very easy to criticise others when you are getting a load of shots and have a multi shot buffer, compared to 1 shot. completely understand the logic.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
very easy to criticise others when you are getting a load of shots and have a multi shot buffer, compared to 1 shot. completely understand the logic.

I get that but if that's the only reason to play or not to play this sport then its a logic I don't understand

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I get that but if that's the only reason to play or not to play this sport then its a logic I don't understand

OK, say for instance you are 5.4 and the weather is crap and you might be swinging not great. you are the only low handicap going out, everyone else is cat 3 or 4. they have 3 and 4 shot buffers so shoot 3 over net CSS make buffer.

Last medal of the year at ours the other week our roll up group, consisting of all cat1 players lowest off +1 highest 4. we decided not to play as it was cold, windy and raining. We just had an enjoyable bounce game instead. i would not say any of those guys had "fake handicaps" all but me have been cat1 20 years or longer and most are multi scratch comp winners, 1 even played home international golf

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
OK, say for instance you are 5.4 and the weather is crap and you might be swinging not great. you are the only low handicap going out, everyone else is cat 3 or 4. they have 3 and 4 shot buffers so shoot 3 over net CSS make buffer.

Last medal of the year at ours the other week our roll up group, consisting of all cat1 players lowest off +1 highest 4. we decided not to play as it was cold, windy and raining. We just had an enjoyable bounce game instead. i would not say any of those guys had "fake handicaps" all but me have been cat1 20 years or longer and most are multi scratch comp winners, 1 even played home international golf

But isn't that all relative, ok so I have a bigger buffer but that's because its needed so we're not all playing off 28 because off 21 my standard of play means my handicap could just as easily go up in ideal conditions as well as windy/rainy days but I wouldn't dream of pulling out of tomorrows comp if its a bit breezy

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
But isn't that all relative, ok so I have a bigger buffer but that's because its needed so we're not all playing off 28 because off 21 my standard of play means my handicap could just as easily go up in ideal conditions as well as windy/rainy days but I wouldn't dream of pulling out of tomorrows comp if its a bit breezy

true, but you only get cut 0.1 as cat one so for every bad round you need a good one to get that 0.1 back where as cat 3, it takes you 3 bad rounds to achieve the same

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
No reason to worry about people having lower handicap than they should.

It’s the ones who have higher handicaps that they should that need sorting.

If you choose to play or not to keep it lower that’s your decision. As long as it’s active that’s fine.

Having said that it’s alway hard to distinguish between the two, handicap protection is handicap protection ether way and a clubs stance should be to avoid people doing it to maintain accurate handicaps.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No reason to worry about people having lower handicap than they should.

It’s the ones who have higher handicaps that they should that need sorting.

If you choose to play or not to keep it lower that’s your decision. As long as it’s active that’s fine.

Unfortunately there are those with false low handicaps who benefit from it, for example by receiving funding, county training etc and who may get other opportunities denied to those with 'proper' handicaps

This certainly happens at junior level and presumably at adult level, although obviously less common than those with false high handicaps (which as we all know is an unfortunately common problem)