Tweakable lofts on Woods / Hybrids - any good?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Recently changed my Iron to a set of Adams XTD forged. The set make up is 5-pw, however they come with a 3 and 4 DHY hybrid.

Historically i have played 4-PW, with a 2 and 3 Hybrid in the bag. This negated the need for me to carry a wood, as the 2h was more than long enough around my place for the occasions i needed it (maybe 2-3 times a round)

So i have been doing a little thinking and potentially i am in the market for something to fill the gap between my Driver and 3 hybrid. without going into carry distances as the thread will get derailed.

Now i have discounted the idea of a 3w, as i will not get much use from it round my place and they are not a club that i have traditionally enjoyed playing of the fairway.

I have been looking into adjustable clubs that might give me a bit more flexibility with regards to tweaking the gap.

They way i see it, if i buy a 18 degree club that can -/+ 1.5 degrees either way, i will be able to find the best trade between distance and forgiveness (assuming more loft gives me more help).

Has anyone had any experience of Adams XTD-TI Hybrids and woods or any other adjustable clubs?

I am not buying anything yet as my New Irons are still to arrive. I am just curious as to what to do.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Recently changed my Iron to a set of Adams XTD forged. The set make up is 5-pw, however they come with a 3 and 4 DHY hybrid.

Historically i have played 4-PW, with a 2 and 3 Hybrid in the bag. This negated the need for me to carry a wood, as the 2h was more than long enough around my place for the occasions i needed it (maybe 2-3 times a round)

So i have been doing a little thinking and potentially i am in the market for something to fill the gap between my Driver and 3 hybrid. without going into carry distances as the thread will get derailed.

Now i have discounted the idea of a 3w, as i will not get much use from it round my place and they are not a club that i have traditionally enjoyed playing of the fairway.

I have been looking into adjustable clubs that might give me a bit more flexibility with regards to tweaking the gap.

They way i see it, if i buy a 18 degree club that can -/+ 1.5 degrees either way, i will be able to find the best trade between distance and forgiveness (assuming more loft gives me more help).

Has anyone had any experience of Adams XTD-TI Hybrids and woods or any other adjustable clubs?

I am not buying anything yet as my New Irons are still to arrive. I am just curious as to what to do.

not sure you will see any great distance improvement with 1.5 more or less loft, after all its still the same length shaft/.

i would just stick with what you have.

3puttmaster

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have a Cobra Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid which I can tweak to a combination of lofts. At the moment I have it set to 16.5 degrees which offers me a great alternative off the tee, to hit into the longer par 4's or to get near the par 5's. I have played with it at shorter courses set to 17.5 degrees and that is equally as nice to play with.

I have to say I find it a great club and a great alternative to the 4 or 5 woods that I have had before. The club is a little shorter so I personally find it easier to control but I don't lose much, if any distance. I think you'd be wise to try it out on a trackman and try the different settings as the results I saw were interesting, such as the height, spin rates etc. Plus when the draw setting was used with less loft it added an extra 10 yards of roll which could benefit some golfers, perhaps on very tight courses where the driver isn't the best option off every tee.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks both

I dont think i would ever tweak depending on the type of course i would be playing. In all honesty i am not a good enough player to get the best use in that fashion.

More that i could play with it to find the most comfortable balance between forgiveness and length.

undecided though and the more i think about it, i should just buy a bat that i am comfortable with off the shelf, as opposed to farting around with lofts / lies etc.

I liked my previous 2h and i like the versatility of hybrids for bump and runs etc. I will have 2 x DHY's that will give me that flexibility.

Maybe leaning toward a 5w.

decisions decisions