TV, DVD, Skybox wiring conundrum!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all.
My MiL has just bought a dvd player, she currently has a Samsung smart TV and a Sky+HD box.
The connections on the devices are as follows;
Sony DVD player - 1 x HDMI out
Sky+HD Box - 1 x HDMI out and 1 x Scart
Samsung TV - 3 x HDMI ins marked HDMI in 1, 2 and 3. 1 x Scart.
There are, obviously, three remote controls .......................... far too many for an 88yr old technophobe!

I have wired it up in the following way;
DVD HDMI out to TV HDMI in 2
SKY+HD box HDMI out to TV HDMI in 1
There is no connection between the Sky box and the DVD

The Sky works as normal but, when she wants to watch a DVD, she has to use the TV remote to change the source and then use the DVD remote to play the disc.
Once she's finished watching the DVD she then has to press the 'SKY' button on her Sky remote in order to get back to watching TV programmes.
Are you still with me?

What I would like is a way to connect the devices in such a way that, as soon as a DVD starts to play, the picture is automatically played on the telly without having to manually change the source ........................... if that makes sense!

If I've made myself clear enough, and you have a solution, please let me know before she phones me yet again to say that she's cocked everything up yet again and has lost all her TV channels yet again!!
Thanks guys,

Slime.

Last edited:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like you need the HDMI-CEC facility enabled on the Samsung. I think it is AnyNet+.

On my Sony it is Bravia Sync, and auto switches input to the latest.

Chrisb83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I might of miss understood what you want but my wife was starting to loose it with how many remotes we had. Bought an “all 4 one” from b and m for £8 and it does my Sony smart tv, Sky HD, Sony Surround Sound and some generic blu ray player. Only downside it won’t control Apple TV

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Samsung has a had dedicated community forum you might find the answer on there.

Ps in your thread you say both DVD and Sky are plugged in to HDMI 2!!!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Samsung has a had dedicated community forum you might find the answer on there.

Ps in your thread you say both DVD and Sky are plugged in to HDMI 2!!!

Good spot, thanks, it's now reading correctly.
Do you think a Scart from Sky+HD box to TV would solve the issue?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good spot, thanks, it's now reading correctly.
Do you think a Scart from Sky+HD box to TV would solve the issue?
Not likely.

Which model TV is it? I have a lot of Samsung Tv's and they are all connected via HDMI. If you switch on the attached devices they are automatically selected by the Tv - back to post #2 maybe?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
HDMI switcher ?

Think you can program remotes with codes ? I'll have a search tomorrow but I'm sure I was able to do this with my BT youview remote.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not likely.

Which model TV is it? I have a lot of Samsung Tv's and they are all connected via HDMI. If you switch on the attached devices they are automatically selected by the Tv - back to post #2 maybe?

That's exactly what I'm looking for.
Not sure what model, but it's a smart TV, about three years old.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I said in post 2...go into the Samsung TV menu and find the setting for AnyNet+ (Samsung's version of HDMI-CEC). Enable it if not active. This will allow the TV to auto switch the input to the active device...but only works if connected devices support HDMI-CEC.

Definition => HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) allows devices to communicate with a TV and pass information and control inputs. For instance, the PS4 has HDMI-CEC, and can automatically switch a TV to its HDMI input when it fires up. Different brands call it a different name. Samsung call it AnyNet+; Sony call it Bravia Sync.

Like with all tech, it isn't 100%. Some setups need an HDMI switcher.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I said in post 2...go into the Samsung TV menu and find the setting for AnyNet+ (Samsung's version of HDMI-CEC). Enable it if not active. This will allow the TV to auto switch the input to the active device...but only works if connected devices support HDMI-CEC.

Definition => HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) allows devices to communicate with a TV and pass information and control inputs. For instance, the PS4 has HDMI-CEC, and can automatically switch a TV to its HDMI input when it fires up. Different brands call it a different name. Samsung call it AnyNet+; Sony call it Bravia Sync.

Like with all tech, it isn't 100%. Some setups need an HDMI switcher.

Thanks Piece, I may be able to try that tomorrow, I'll let you know.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Eventually gave the above a try, but it already had AnyNet+ activated. :(
Back to square one.