turning pro

itsamomentintime

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’ve read that to turn pro, a player needs to have a handicap of +4 or better. Then they can play in tournaments as a professional, rather than an amateur.

Is that all you have to do in order to be a playing pro? I say 'all', but its a given that getting to +4 is very difficult

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve read that to turn pro, a player needs to have a handicap of +4 or better. Then they can play in tournaments as a professional, rather than an amateur.

Is that all you have to do in order to be a playing pro? I say 'all', but its a given that getting to +4 is very difficult

I thought you could declare yourself pro and give up amateur status when you wanted. Some pro tours would let you play as long as you pay them the entry fee.

D

Deleted member 15344

The Handicap ref is in regards doing your PGA Pro course - minimum is a HC of 4 ( not plus 4 ) before being accepted into the PGA Pro Course

Going “pro” in events etc ( non PGA ) you can just try and qualify but require and entry fee - Jamega for example. Euro pro you can go through their qualifying etc

itsamomentintime

Medal Winner
Visit site
The Handicap ref is in regards doing your PGA Pro course - minimum is a HC of 4 ( not plus 4 ) before being accepted into the PGA Pro Course

Going “pro” in events etc ( non PGA ) you can just try and qualify but require and entry fee - Jamega for example. Euro pro you can go through their qualifying etc

sorry I meant 4 not +4

itsamomentintime

Medal Winner
Visit site
so when the Europro Tour states that you need to be +2 to participate, they mean 2 shots better than scratch? Rather than 2 shots above scratch?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had seen a comment once that unless you regularly shoot scores on your own course of 4 or better under the CSS. The you should not consider becoming a tournament pro.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
so when the Europro Tour states that you need to be +2 to participate, they mean 2 shots better than scratch? Rather than 2 shots above scratch?

The tour permit amateur golfer to participate alongside the professionals, without the prize money. They set handicap limits for those wishing to do so.

If you turn professional you no longer have a handicap; so obviously such limits don't apply!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can enter europro tour school off 2, NOT +2. However once you’ve got your card you cannot play it as an amateur