Turning hips on dowswing first has improved my ball striking at last,

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I thought my downswing was correct started using the lower body but i still had a tendency to muscle it with my shoulders and arms result heavy fat strikes and out to in path ( over the top downswing )

Played today and really focused on turning my belt buckle ( i.e hips ) towards the target to start the downswing

The results were impressive, a draw with my driver and iron strikes were alot cleaner and a gain of distance.

I can describe it as having lazy arms at the top of the swing and using the hips turning quickly to the target that pulled the arms down the better plane and struck the ball better

It does feel odd as for many years i have used the arms / shoulders so it will need work to master.

B

birdieman

T'is the key to a good long game.

What amazed me is that Quiros manages to start his hips turning to target before he's even finished his backswing! I couldn't co-ordinate that even in slow motion!:mad:

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having realised towards the end of last year, with a cut of 5 shots to show for it, that my swing should be starting with a turn and not a sway, I am now trying to think about starting my downswing with my right hip turning to target.

it still feels strange but I do seem to be striking the ball better than ever. Just need to spend some time on short game now to stop the silly duffs. Have a double lesson booked for the Easter holidays to help that!

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
just starting to discover this myself.

making sure i start with the hips i feel like i can free wheel through the ball, pretty much hits it as hard as i can, the strike feels good, with a straight, or slight fade shot shape.

when i slip into bad habits starting with the top half i get into all sorts of trouble, yukky weak push slices etc.

really trying to drill this movement, hopefully it should be a good summer of golf if i can get this down pat :)

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The pro I'm having lessons with now has got me doing something similar and my iron striking has improved no end. He says the first move should be with my left knee moving slightly towards target and straightening a touch, he calls it the elvis leg. Then turn the hips and everything should follow.

Much more distance, better strike and my misses aren't half as bad as they were. Im even starting to draw the ball a little. Haven't grasped it with the driver yet as my round on sunday can testify.

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This has definitely been the key to getting away from an out to in swingpath for me.

On the range I seem to be able to hit a slight draw most of the time but this doesnt quite happen out on the course yet. Not sure why but will keep working on it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been working on the Jim Hardy one plane swing and the hip turn is one of the key components and to be honest he says I can't turn the hips quickly enough in a one plane swing. The ball striking is so much better and I'm started to really compress down on it more. Its translating the work I'm doing in practice onto the course that is the biggest issue at the moment.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It works for me too. It stops the ott swing and gets me onto the front foot early. Ball strike is better and goes straighter as the club is pulled through the hitting area closer to my body.