Trying to keep my feet on the ground

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've entered a Stableford winter league competition at my 9 hole home course. I've been pleased with the first 2 weeks returned scores of 17 and then 19 but then today...

Everything seemed to go very well, smooth swinging, no major errors and despite some utterly sodden greens some pretty decent putting too.

For a 20 handicapper (currently) I hit all FIR, 4/9 GIR and only made 15 putts to play to a handicap of 8 and score 24 points. I'm fully expecting a sizeable handicap reduction for the rest of the competition! Thrilled with the score but trying not to get carried away and think I've finally figured this game out and will play to single figures again next week!!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Great scoring sir, but allow me to help.

You have NOT cracked it.

It happens to everyone. Just enjoy the good days and accept there will be bad.

HTH :D

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Don't want to burst your bubble but I played in an Open competition at Hankley Common two days after 2 x 41 point rounds at Cooden.
I think I had 9 points on the front and 12 on the back.
This game has a nasty habit of biting you in the arse.
:mad:

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Well played Matt :) The key thing is probably about expectation. If you can manage yours you'll probably keep making progress :thup:

I remember playing our front nine +1 off a 23 hcap then having a monumental meltdown because I thought I had it nailed finished +20 :eek:

Just try not to put too much pressure on yourself to replicate that form and I'm sure you'll keep posting great numbers like that :) :thup:

PS and when you have a blip just shrug it off

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice to get a good score in there, Matty, but as has been said already.. with only 4/9 greens in regulation (I'm guessing with a couple of par 3s thrown in there) you've certainly not cracked it yet. Trust me. I've gone from a score of +1 to +20 in the space of a couple of rounds, myself, this month. :)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A certain Mr Woods thought that he had this game sussed, but look at him now:)

Well done on your score, like others have said enjoy the good times and immediately erase the bad ones from your memory.