Trump Aberdeen membership

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had an email over the weekend offering membership.

£1995 PA, which isn't that expensive considering how good the course is.

Unfortunately too far away for me, though its only 100 miles still takes two and half hours from Inversneck

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Genuine question, is it worth it? I haven't been, it is 4hrs away. Is it worth the drive, the green fee, or if you lived in the area the membership fee?

Is it up there with Turnberry, Gleneagles etc. or is it in the band below?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Does Trump not still close it's doors over the winter?

Possibly end if October to March?

I could be wrong but I'm sure it does.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Does Trump not still close it's doors over the winter?

Possibly end if October to March?

I could be wrong but I'm sure it does.
you could be right, CS is mid Nov to end March so i'd imagine they would be about the same.

TBH i wouldn't fancy it in Dec/Jan/Feb if last week is anything to go by;)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It's a tremendous test, par 5's and par 3's are all top notch.

Great design and I do chuckle when I hear people saying they refuse to play it because of "Trump" association. Guess they're happy to miss out to satisfy their "morals and beliefs". In my opinion they're really missing out.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
If you lived in the area, I'd suggest that is pretty good value to play a top venue as often as you want. Subject to what kind of availability there is (I'd imagine sufficient availability) and if there are a decent number of other members to play with / against.

Even if you were just a business person looking to take clients out every month or so, most wouldn't blink at the fees.

My view is that the Trump brand is not helping the commercial aspects of Aberdeen and Turnberry venues. Sure they are excellent courses that he has put millions into and are venues that people rave about and some will always want to play, but I'd guess if these were not owned by Trump and didn't have the Trump name attached to them, they would generate more turnover. And would probably also have an Open and Scottish Open scheduled across the 2 courses.

Certainly some of the deals that the Aberdeen venue has put out suggest that they don't exactly have a full tee sheet and obviously the Aberdeen project generated significant ill feeling with the locals and of course people in the NE of Scotland have long memories. I understand this led to a big change in approach by the Trump business as to how they approached things and how they dealt with local issues.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you lived in the area, I'd suggest that is pretty good value to play a top venue as often as you want. Subject to what kind of availability there is (I'd imagine sufficient availability) and if there are a decent number of other members to play with / against.

Even if you were just a business person looking to take clients out every month or so, most wouldn't blink at the fees.

My view is that the Trump brand is not helping the commercial aspects of Aberdeen and Turnberry venues. Sure they are excellent courses that he has put millions into and are venues that people rave about and some will always want to play, but I'd guess if these were not owned by Trump and didn't have the Trump name attached to them, they would generate more turnover. And would probably also have an Open and Scottish Open scheduled across the 2 courses.

Certainly some of the deals that the Aberdeen venue has put out suggest that they don't exactly have a full tee sheet and obviously the Aberdeen project generated significant ill feeling with the locals and of course people in the NE of Scotland have long memories. I understand this led to a big change in approach by the Trump business as to how they approached things and how they dealt with local issues.

there are different levels of membership as you would expect at a non members course. you had a few sign ons of £75 for Guests and could host 19 others at £100 per head for Individual membership, i didn't look what you got for Corp Mem.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wow, I would have thought between 6-10k.

Has the oil industry dipped that low recently locally, as would have thought they could have sold many individual or corporate memberships up to a few years ago.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Wow, I would have thought between 6-10k.

Has the oil industry dipped that low recently locally, as would have thought they could have sold many individual or corporate memberships up to a few years ago.
arse fell out a few years ago when the price of Oil went from something like $150 a barrel to less than $100 (please no one just google this just to prove me wrong, this is just a guess;)) quite a few of the big O&G companies in Aberdeen have laid off workers. the main reason Trump didn't build the houses and Hotel when it opened

The airport for instance the first year had something like a 30% drop in its Passenger numbers, and have seen further reductions, all O&G related

Even Royal Aberdeen are taking new members

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
arse fell out a few years ago when the price of Oil went from something like $150 a barrel to less than $100 (please no one just google this just to prove me wrong, this is just a guess;)) quite a few of the big O&G companies in Aberdeen have laid off workers. the main reason Trump didn't build the houses and Hotel when it opened

The airport for instance the first year had something like a 30% drop in its Passenger numbers, and have seen further reductions, all O&G related

Yeah had heard such.

I used to go up to Aberdeen and visit customer's in O&G up to about 2012 when in the marine industry, but now at a company that does oil-free compressors, so not related to that game anymore.

Sad to hear as the city is built on that industry.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah had heard such.

I used to go up to Aberdeen and visit customer's in O&G up to about 2012 when in the marine industry, but now at a company that does oil-free compressors, so not related to that game anymore.

Sad to hear as the city is built on that industry.

Theres still plenty going on but not as it was a few years ago. you couldn't get a hotel in Aberdeen during the week at one time, remember having to stay in Banchory last time i was at the STF as i couln't get a room anywhere else.

I think they are now trying to promote it as a more tourist destination now, so may be good for Golf in the area

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Didnt have to look it up! It dropped to ~$30 from ~150, so was alot more significant than people realise.

Wiped out Aberdeen. Well in excess of 100,000 lost their jobs in the UK sector - that's direct, imagine the knock on effect. Globally they reckon we probably lost about a million (including voluntary redundancies etc tbf). You didn't hear about it on the news cos its the dirty oil industry no one likes to think about so who cares if thousands lose their jobs. You didn't get the benfit at the pumps because it's all tax.

Fortunately the industry is recovering. It's a boom-and-bust industry, you take the rough with the smooth.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Theres still plenty going on but not as it was a few years ago. you couldn't get a hotel in Aberdeen during the week at one time, remember having to stay in Banchory last time i was at the STF as i couln't get a room anywhere else.

I think they are now trying to promote it as a more tourist destination now, so may be good for Golf in the area

I mainly stayed at Banchory at the best western - best boiled potatoes I've ever had.(y)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Was talking to one of our ex captains today, he went up there last year and stayed overnight with his wife, a fellow golfer. Said he paid £440 for two rounds, dinner etc for them both. Said he has had another email this year and it has gone down. Said it was gorgeous.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's a tremendous test, par 5's and par 3's are all top notch.

Great design and I do chuckle when I hear people saying they refuse to play it because of "Trump" association. Guess they're happy to miss out to satisfy their "morals and beliefs". In my opinion they're really missing out.

I couldn't help chuckle at this one. I mean who would let something as basic as their morals and beliefs get in the way - I was missing out on driving an Aston Martin but then I thought why put morals in the way. Quick car jacking later and I'm sorted.

(Said in jest as a i appreciate playing Trump courses isn't illegal, no morals here despite not liking Trump; just cost and location meaning it's not on my immediate to do list.)