Trouble close to the green

robemosc

Club Champion
Visit site
Guys, I need a little advice.

Was out tonight for a quick 9 holes, I was getting close to the greens, Less then 20yrds.

I need some advice on what i need to do to get the ball on to the green in a controlled way. The greens seemed very fast and everything I hit was either too short or just zoomed off to the other end of the green.

Help Help Help

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The word here is practice.

Unless you have nicely cut fringe grass all the way to the green and you can putt it you need to either play a chip'n'run or a pitch to get the ball rolling towards the hole. A chip'n'run need a decent surface in front of you - too many humps and bumps, divots or tufts will throw the ball off course. A pitch should bounce just onto the green and roll out. Depending on how far you are from the flag will determine which club it's best to use. With not much green to play with you need a higher shot, so a lob wedge or SW will do it. If you have loads of green you may be able to get a 7 iron on it, play it similarly to a putt so the ball pitches just on the green and runs out.

But the only way to get better at this is to practice it with a variety of clubs, watch how the ball reacts on pitching.
It can take a while!!

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had the same problem as our course and greens have been really fast this year with it being very dry. I've found the chip n run the best, played with a 7 or 8 iron. As said use a putting stroke and just practice to get the feel for it. I've had better results with the 8 recently as mainly used the 7 before. I struggle to hit the higher shots that go high and land soft although have been trying it out more in practice rounds with the sw.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
if there is nothing in front of you to get over, then bump and run, like murg said, 7 iron, like a putt, and practice.
but if you can putt, putt!
no point trying to fly it high and drop it soft if you dont need too, just my opinion! :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I dont like a putting action when chipping, it creates a shallow arc that can easily thin the ball. The hinge and hold method is the best way to chip/pitch the ball. See what Phil Mickelson says: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4DevROGzXM&feature=relmfu

"There's only one way to chip, hinge and hold"

I think many would disagree with Phil.

Back to the op.
From 20 yards if you have the confidence in the 7 iron bump and run, use it.
If I have room between the front of green and the flag, I will normally try and land the ball on the putting surface with a PW or SW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rOklcLVF_E

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I dont like a putting action when chipping, it creates a shallow arc that can easily thin the ball. The hinge and hold method is the best way to chip/pitch the ball. See what Phil Mickelson says: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4DevROGzXM&feature=relmfu

I think many would disagree with Phil.

Back to the op.
From 20 yards if you have the confidence in the 7 iron bump and run, use it.
If I have room between the front of green and the flag, I will normally try and land the ball on the putting surface with a PW or SW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rOklcLVF_E

I use this method and have a great short game, it's OK for Phil who probably has one of the best short games in golf and it's certainly good for me. Many will no doubt disagree with Phil, that's life and no matter how good something is some will disagre with it, for me the proof is as the saying goes, not how but how many. Maybe the 'some' can explain why the hinge and hold is not the best way to chip and pitch rather than just disagree for the sake of it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe the 'some' can explain why the hinge and hold is not the best way to chip and pitch rather than just disagree for the sake of it.

I didn't say it wasn't the best way.
Phil said
That's what many wouldn't agree with.
As you said, you don't like the putting style method for chipping but many do and use it to great affect.
To say the H and H is the ONLY way to chip I feel is wrong.
Some would even argue as he is using his wrists on the backswing that he is actually pitching, not chipping.

I was taught the hinge and hold about 40 years ago and I use it in my teaching to this day as it undoubtedly works.
I hope you enjoy using the H and H but please don't tell me it's the only way to do it.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some would even argue as he is using his wrists on the backswing that he is actually pitching, not chipping.

I was taught the hinge and hold about 40 years ago and I use it in my teaching to this day as it undoubtedly works.
I hope you enjoy using the H and H but please don't tell me it's the only way to do it.

Hinging your wrists on the backswing is not the deciding factor on whether you are pitching or chipping. You can vary the amount of hinge and it ensures you are accellerating into impact which I think we all would agree is a must. I would imagine we would also be in agreement that stopping the clubface passing your hands while chipping is also a must, I learned that one over 40 years ago.

I didnt tell you it's the only way to do it, Phil did. You can chip standing on one leg with your driver if you want to but its not the best way, the best way is the most reliable and repeatably effective way which in 'my estimation' is H and H.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Hinging your wrists on the backswing is not the deciding factor on whether you are pitching or chipping. You can vary the amount of hinge and it ensures you are accellerating into impact which I think we all would agree is a must. I would imagine we would also be in agreement that stopping the clubface passing your hands while chipping is also a must, I learned that one over 40 years ago.

I didnt tell you it's the only way to do it, Phil did. You can chip standing on one leg with your driver if you want to but its not the best way, the best way is the most reliable and repeatably effective way which in 'my estimation' is H and H.

totally agree, tried the stiff wrist milarky and too many thins, H and H is all about not letting the clubhead overtake the hands PLUS ensuring a steeper attack.

As Phil says (we love Phil) everyone actually does it but they call it something else :p

ventura

Head Pro
Visit site
I've seen a few posts recommending the hinge and hold technique so finally gave it a go tonight after watching the video, had some good results with it. Fastest and cheapest golf lesson ever!

I'll be practicing this from now on I think.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
I have been using H&H for the last few months and while I like it for most shots with any kind of distance I have struggled to use it when just off the green. I have persisted with it for so long but can't get distance control like I used to. Last time out I went back to the Leadbetter method and the results were far better.

IMO H&H best 95% of the time but not always, always, always :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When you hinge your wrists, then hold that hinge through impact, you deloft the club. Unless, you have 60/64 L wedge, you will probably hit it too far or decelerate into the ball.

The firm wrist chip is an alternative shot which can be played close to the fringe and flag where you have little room to stop the ball.
It just takes a little practice.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
I do get pretty good results with my 58 and can open it a little if needed.

I will give it a try at the practice green tomorrow on the tightest pin I can find and compare the results. One thing I worry about is catching the ground first which the leadbetter method seems to eliminate.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I do get pretty good results with my 58 and can open it a little if needed.

I will give it a try at the practice green tomorrow on the tightest pin I can find and compare the results. One thing I worry about is catching the ground first which the leadbetter method seems to eliminate.

interesting, got a link as thats invaluable

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
Hinge and Hold does not want you to hold the hinge through the shot. It wants you to release the hinge so that you are accellerating the clubface, you must not let the clubface pass your hands though or to put it another way you must not rotate your hands or flip them.

Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgkcnZygGnY

Yeah the second part of this thread was a discussion regarding Leadbetters method which is to lock your wrists in a forward position and maintain that through the whole stroke.

Getting back to that discussion I did try your method bob along with Leadbetters but I could not get it working and did hit a few fat. When I caught it right though I could get the ball to just hop a few feet and stop dead so it may be worth practising for the really tight pins. My coach has got me working on the Stan Utley method which seems to be a mixture of your's and the H&H and I am going to work on that and see how I get on.