Tricky question - looking for ideas.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
OK... do you smoke cigarettes? Put a packet flat on the ground under your right heel and make your normal swing - don't crush your ciggys! See what happens.

I'll try this (?!) in between practising the worlds most uncomfortable take-away.

Is this a S&T idea, or you just want to laugh at me crushing my fags?

I'd like you to try and hit a draw or a push-draw with your fags under your right heel and see what happens. If you crush your fags you only have yourself to blame :)

If you don't trust yourself then use a golfball instead but try not to put any weight on it.

To hit a draw you need the clubface square as the ball will start pretty straight and then curve a little left. To hit a push-draw you need the clubface a little open as the ball needs to start a little to the right and then curve back in.
Aim straight at your target for both type of shots. Hit a few and see how you get on.... take Rizla if necessary :)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd like you to try and hit a draw or a push-draw with your fags under your right heel and see what happens. If you crush your fags you only have yourself to blame :)

If you don't trust yourself then use a golfball instead but try not to put any weight on it.

To hit a draw you need the clubface square as the ball will start pretty straight and then curve a little left. To hit a push-draw you need the clubface a little open as the ball needs to start a little to the right and then curve back in.
Aim straight at your target for both type of shots. Hit a few and see how you get on.... take Rizla if necessary :)

You're a good man. Thanks for your help.

Current take away issues aside, I used to hit a push-draw. When I was fitted for Mizuno irons in 1998, they put me on a monitor to see what was going on. I hit the ball really well in those days and what did they discover?.....that nearly all my shots flew more or less in the same direction. I was averaging a few degrees from the inside with a degree or two open at impact. What I would give for this now.

I just don't know what to do for the best right now. I saw myself on video yesterday (he felt I needed to *see* it) and the first move was nothing short of a disaster. Hands move away from the body, club gets sets impossibly flat and the arms are simply doing there own thing......no wonder I've lost my mojo.

Here's my representation. Sorry to draw such a criminal thing on a picture of Paul, but it was the quickest find in my library.

FlatsetLawrie.jpg

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hope there isn't a green house on the other side of that hedge.

I think Paul would go straight over it if there was. I'd be quite safe though because since my lesson I can't actually hit the ball - period.

I had to play last night (pre-arranged friendly) so I just forgot it all and went out and just hit the thing. It wasn't great, but I got round. :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hands move away from the body, club gets sets impossibly flat.....
FlatsetLawrie.jpg

See the angle of his shoulder line? The left shoulder turns down towards the ball, THIS is what gets the club up on plane without the need for 'lifting' with the arms.

If you notice his club is up at approx 45°, in line with his shoulder line, he's hardly done anything with the club at all.... just turned.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
You know, I am utterly rubbish.

I did an hours work after the lesson, then 30 minutes last night in the garden trying to get the feel of what it is I'm trying to do, then an hour+ at the range, doing the take-away thing 5 times between each ball.

I've just videod myself and there's no flippin difference whatsoever. This is disappointing because I whacked some good 'uns at the range after 5 drills per ball. I also hit some draws, but on the video in the garden, there's no physical way any of them (with air balls) could ever draw on the course.

Why is it so hard?

I'm now drinking beer to cheer me up. :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You know, I am utterly rubbish.

You'll be pleased to know that Smiffy is also a 12 h/cap and he's shite too :D :D

Although he did beat Bobmac in matchplay (apparently Bobmac had one arm and a leg tied behind his back) :p

Perhaps a word with Homer then? He can bed in a swing change within half a bucket down at the range

Your head is clearly overloaded with swing thoughts. Don't let it worry you too much, it's only a game and you've got plenty of time..... Where abouts do you live?

... and did you do the ciggy thing yet?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your head is clearly overloaded with swing thoughts. Don't let it worry you too much, it's only a game and you've got plenty of time..... Where abouts do you live?

Not overloaded. I was struggling, went for a lesson and discovered I'd resorted to my style from about 2 years ago. My (new) Pro wants me to work on one thing; how to move the club away from the ball and set the club. That's all I'm interested in right now. I wanted to try the fag packet thing but spent my range time doing ONLY the drill.....which clearly hasn't gone in even 1%.

I'm in Shropshire b.t.w.
It's a far-off mystical land with elves and goblins and waterfalls.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
What's the drill?

Are you coming to the GM meet at Ascot?

(My grandmother lived in Shropshire - she was a hobbit)

Basically got to move the hands keeping them in check (i.e. closer to the right thigh) setting the club ultra-steep (for now, anyway) and then turning properly. I have been swinging with a hand towel under my left pit.....
I hit some beauties at the range (170 draws with 6 iron off a 3mm tee) but it's going to take ages to sort it. Normally I just commit myself to fixing the fault and forget my next game, but I'm up for some Matchplay comps at the club.

Not doing Ascot, unfortunately. Homer knows how hard it is for me to do it on a day trip.

Your Mum was a hobbit.....splendid, she'd have fit in well.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Although he did beat Bobmac in matchplay (apparently Bobmac had one arm and a leg tied behind his back) :p

Nah. I let him win. After all the grief he had organising the trip AND getting stuffed on Saturday, I couldn't possibly stuff him again on the Sunday.
If I had, he probably would refuse my invitation to Pebble Beach next year :D

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm not commenting on any thing. I went down the range today to practice my shank. 30 to 100 yards is a no distance to me. 95% shot of at right angles. Fine if that's what you want.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nah. I let him win.

And it was very much appreciated.
Thank you Bob

The R&A are officially investigating rumours of match fixing at the recent Golf Monthly vs Golf Magic Forum Ryder Cup at Forest Pines. A spokesman said that offenders should expect lengthy jail sentences, or have to play with Homer for a month!! :eek: :D :D