Training - where do you?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This month's GM dropped through the letterbox and so, as usual, I was reading the various game improvement articles/advice.

In particular, the putting practice suggested laying about a dozen balls spread around the selected practice 'hole' at various distances - made me think where could I possibly do that.

In fact most of the practice routines I read would be impractical to use at my course.

Made me wonder where and how others ever utilize the advice and suggested training aids we find in articles on the course?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always wondered the same . Joined new club this yr . Great facilities ok but not great atmosphere . I.pracriced at first . It worked too . Just havent had time on last few months . It shows now too ..
But yes i agree for most club members the settings are a bit unrealistic to recreate..i stoped reading these as a result ..
i have no.excuses now tho may get back at it when i get home
, that and terminlogy loses me a bit anyhow ..

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think most clubs I've been a member at have had decent practice facilities. That doesn't mean they're always accessible for whatever practice I'd like to do. Being able to put down a load of balls for a clock routine putting practice on a competition day isn't likely to happen but in just about every case, access at 4pm on a Sunday, or most weekday evening has been easy.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think most clubs I've been a member at have had decent practice facilities. That doesn't mean they're always accessible for whatever practice I'd like to do. Being able to put down a load of balls for a clock routine putting practice on a competition day isn't likely to happen but in just about every case, access at 4pm on a Sunday, or most weekday evening has been easy.
Just about sums it up for me. Overall structured chipping is probably the hardest - you need to take over at least a third of the chipping area for a couple of hours to pull together a session. Fortunately I can duplicate strike, flight and landing distance in my garden...so it's more a case of a quick landing and roll out to observe the full picture. Appreciate that's not everyone's option.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just about sums it up for me. Overall structured chipping is probably the hardest - you need to take over at least a third of the chipping area for a couple of hours to pull together a session. Fortunately I can duplicate strike, flight and landing distance in my garden...so it's more a case of a quick landing and roll out to observe the full picture. Appreciate that's not everyone's option.
Me to do you use a mat in the garden?
I made one with Astro turf on plywood and use a 4”x2” piece of wood under the board to create uphill ,downhill lies.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to use the putting green for my chipping needs. It has a step in so can hit uphill and down and across the slope so great for working on different flights and shots. Usually in the evenings it's quite quiet and those going out after work usually only hit a few putts before going out so I can work around them. When working on the putting I tend to just pick one hole (leaving another 6 for others to use) and use my Visio mat and gate and then mark out some 2-6 foot putts to improve holing out

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Me to do you use a mat in the garden?
I made one with Astro turf on plywood and use a 4”x2” piece of wood under the board to create uphill ,downhill lies.
Had one made from an old piece of one of our driving range mats...but passed it on to someone with a greater need 🤗

I just play straight off the lawn - adds another dimension to the pressure (and divots and chip shots don't mix anyway)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Had one made from an old piece of one of our driving range mats...but passed it on to someone with a greater need 🤗

I just play straight off the lawn - adds another dimension to the pressure (and divots and chip shots don't mix anyway)

I thought you only practiced where GM took you Duncan 👍

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Weekday evenings, I had the practice facilities to myself most nights. Occasionally joined by the pro or one of the assistants.

Most people chose the course for 6 holes after work, mostly practiced on the practice area and had plenty of space to do drills.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My gardener would not be happy with that.
I am sure he would send the butler out to tell me to stop.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I am a member at two golf clubs this season, and both of them have a pretty complete set of practice facilities. At my home club, we have a driving range, a rather large putting green with 9 holes (no chipping allowed), a pitching green with two practice bunkers and a variety of slopes around it and a 6-hole short course which can also be used for chipping practice. The 6-hole course is closed at the moment for renovations, but I hope they reopen it soon.

The other course has a driving range with a wide variety of targets, a fairway bunker to play out of etc. and a short game area which is basically an old par 3 hole which is not in use anymore since the course design changed a few years back. So it allows you to practice anything from short iron and full wedge shots to chips and pitches. It has a bunker as well. And there is a putting and chipping green right next to the first tee. It even has a tiny practice bunker as well.

On both courses, all the practice facilities are in easy reach from the club house, so that it is possible to use them for a warm-up before a round without much hassle. And especially the short game areas aren't frequented all that much, so that it is possible to set up more complicated drills that require you to put distance markers out or mark a target area on the green as well if you avoid the more crowded times directly before a comp for example.