Training for a new career

blackpuddinmonster

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi Fader,
I passed my HGV 20 years ago and have seen quite a few changes, none particularly good to be honest.
As stated the wages are not what they were. When i started i could easily earn a wage equivalent to a teacher/police officer, but now those type of jobs are very rare(mainly petro chem, haz waste etc) and involve even more expense to gain the needed qualifications with no guarentee of work afterwards.
Traffic and road conditions is another one, there are now so many weight restrictions just getting to your destination would tax a chess grand master. :rolleyes:

On the plus side though..;)
Everything that people take for granted, food, furniture, appliances etc, etc.. has been handled at some stage by a HGV driver.
Once you have passed your test, it is the nearest you will come, to having a job for life, today.
Driving is very much a way of life, and you need a lot of patience, and must enjoy your own company, especially if you want to do distance, but it can be very rewarding, and you get to see some great places, and meet some real characters.
Another plus is you'd be suprised just how many ex military do this job for a living.
These are just a few of the pros/cons of the job, to be honest i could go on for pages, because every job is diferent, but generally i do enjoy what i do, and it as kept me in continuous employ for the last 20 yrs.
So Fader i'd say go for it. If you have any specific questions please don't hesitate to ask, if i can help i will with pleasure mate.
Good luck in whatever you choose to do. :thup:

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is the main thing helping me push away from what I do it that i'm like you mind numbingly bored 95% of my time in my current role, but unlike you i'm not salary trapped as the pay is pitance for the amount of work I actually do. Plus HID has a much better career than me and is supportive of my need/want to change.

Until I read this bit I wasn't going to reply.

I recently changed career from a self employed position for 30 years!

I drive cars for a living now and thoroughly enjoy it, mostly new cars and anything from a Kia Rio to an 'S' class Mercedes! However, it's minimum wage but is an "Employed" position. Which means I can take a days holiday and play golf, and still get PAID for it! After 30 years self employed I still find that hard to get used to.

It's such an easy job, with just a little bit of paperwork and you can go home and switch off.

Best thing I've done in years, wish I'd done it sooner! :thup:

As others have said, feel free to ask any questions.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Be a taxi driver , my golf course car park is full of them , so they must be doing alright.:lol:

You called? LOL
Yeah I'm a cabbie. Downsides, long hours, no regular income, no holiday/sick pay, have to do your own tax/NI or pay an accountant. However the upsides are no boss (apart from HID), do as many or as few hours as I want, take holidays when I want, no real job related stress (assuming you don't suffer too badly with road rage!, the chance to see different places you wouldn't normally go to and get paid for it., and get to play more golf!
Ive been doing it for about 10 years now, to be honest you'll never be a millionaire, but like it for the reasons above, I couldn't go back and work for someone now. Like anything you have good days and bad days, you just have to be a bit careful and make sure the good days bring in enough to cover the bad ones.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Over qualified?

I have gained my CMAE Diploma in Golf Management and there are very few in the UK with this qualification.

Maybe you mean people with qualifications but not the correct ones for the job that is set out in front of them?

There is not a lot of difference between managing a golf course and other businesses, a good manager is simply a good manager.

As an example I have seen 'experienced' golf managers/secretaries without any knowledge of course management/greenkeeping destroy first class head green keepers. They were in charge and had the final say.

In the early 1990's I managed the first golf courses, golf range etc to achieve BS 5750 quality management and qualified as a QM auditor/team leader.
The skills I learned gave me the opportunity to cross over to a non golf envoirnment if I chose.
This works both ways.
If I was looking to employ a golf manager I would look carefully at his/her proven history of administration/team leader/people skills. If they were a golfer that would be a benefit but not a huge one.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
There is not a lot of difference between managing a golf course and other businesses, a good manager is simply a good manager.

As an example I have seen 'experienced' golf managers/secretaries without any knowledge of course management/greenkeeping destroy first class head green keepers. They were in charge and had the final say.

In the early 1990's I managed the first golf courses, golf range etc to achieve BS 5750 quality management and qualified as a QM auditor/team leader.
The skills I learned gave me the opportunity to cross over to a non golf envoirnment if I chose.
This works both ways.
If I was looking to employ a golf manager I would look carefully at his/her proven history of administration/team leader/people skills. If they were a golfer that would be a benefit but not a huge one.

You are correct with a good manager is a good manager but I wholeheartedly disagree with saying there is not a lot of difference between a golf course and other businesses. Possibly in years gone by but there are so many other strings to the bow that a golf manager needs these days that he didn't need in years gone by and a massive amount of that is covered through any decent golf diplomas.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm an IT Programme Manager - I have to be good (huh!) at the stuff DfT mentions- I absolutely don't have to know that much about IT - and to do my job properly I should and do leave the detail and design decisions to my Technical Architects and Technical Project Managers. Where there is a significant decision to made these guys give me their recommendation and the rationale. I press them on it and explore their alternatives. In the end I am responsible for the decisions we as a team make but keep out of the detail. I see little reason why Golf Course Management should be any different. Hmmm....now there's a thought...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Too true Hogan, surround yourself with talent and you can't fail.

Seems obvious and easy - huh! I just don't interfere (too much) with them doing what they are well paid to do, and ask them to not interfere with me doing what I'm paid to do. But that doesn't mean to say I don't stick my nose in their business - and I'm happy if they do likewise with mine - that all sounds a bit poo...but it's how it should best work.

So in Golf Course Management - the Course Architect is my Technical Design Authority and the Head Greenkeeper is my Technical Lead and Project Manager. The members via the Greens Committee are the stakeholders. The Head Greenkeeper reports to the Course Manager but is not hierarchically 'subserviant' to the Course Manager (which is where I guess things can go wrong). The Course Manager reports to the Greens Committee - supported as required by the Head Greenkeeper. Course Manager is overall budget holder - with Head Greenkeeper budget holder for that allocated to course maintenance etc. Pretty simple model.

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You are correct with a good manager is a good manager but I wholeheartedly disagree with saying there is not a lot of difference between a golf course and other businesses. Possibly in years gone by but there are so many other strings to the bow that a golf manager needs these days that he didn't need in years gone by and a massive amount of that is covered through any decent golf diplomas.

thats an interesting point, what skills do you see in running a golf course business that arent covered by 'normal' business qualifications and experience?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm an IT Programme Manager - I have to be good (huh!) at the stuff DfT mentions- I absolutely don't have to know that much about IT - and to do my job properly I should and do leave the detail and design decisions to my Technical Architects and Technical Project Managers. Where there is a significant decision to made these guys give me their recommendation and the rationale. I press them on it and explore their alternatives. In the end I am responsible for the decisions we as a team make but keep out of the detail. I see little reason why Golf Course Management should be any different. Hmmm....now there's a thought...

A friend of mine is the IT Global head of an extremely large company and he really has no IT knowledge or interest, its about managing projects effectively, cost efficiently and on time and being a very good manager

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A friend of mine is the IT Global head of an extremely large company and he really has no IT knowledge or interest, its about managing projects effectively, cost efficiently and on time and being a very good manager

Absolutely - mind you I once went for a job in a computing company (before they were referred to as IT companies) and said I had no interest in computers. I knew what I meant - but I didn't get the job. My mate who introduced me was p'd off as he'd have got £1000 finders fee. Ach well.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry Fader we are a bit off post here.

I think the point is that most folk have transferable core skills and abilities.
On a few occasions I have promoted staff that other managers have told me were useless. They were not useless, just badly managed and undervalued.
Life is for living and I would say you should find a job you enjoy and go for it.
I remember a council manual workers retirement when he said that he had always hated his job. 40 years in a job you hate is just plain stupid to me, but I was not in his shoes or aware his circumstances.
One of my best greenkeepers was a college lecturer, he hated old job and loved being a greenkeeper.

SirSliceAlot

Club Champion
Visit site
I completely changed my career when I was 32 and although at times it was a bumpy ride I am now very comfortable. I would add that I never stop training though and invest heavily in my professional future. Don't get me wrong, it was a big step initially and everyone thought I was mad.

You only get one kick at the ball mate. This life ain't a rehearsal. Best of luck!

Could I ask what you do for a living now, what you did before and how you went about the change (training, finances etc)? Only asking as I am 32 myself and am desperate for a career change but really don't know where to start at the minute!

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could I ask what you do for a living now, what you did before and how you went about the change (training, finances etc)? Only asking as I am 32 myself and am desperate for a career change but really don't know where to start at the minute!

Same age, same situation but I do know now is the time I need to be doing it.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry Fader we are a bit off post here.I think the point is that most folk have transferable core skills and abilities.
On a few occasions I have promoted staff that other managers have told me were useless. They were not useless, just badly managed and undervalued.
Life is for living and I would say you should find a job you enjoy and go for it.
I remember a council manual workers retirement when he said that he had always hated his job. 40 years in a job you hate is just plain stupid to me, but I was not in his shoes or aware his circumstances.
One of my best greenkeepers was a college lecturer, he hated old job and loved being a greenkeeper.

No worries Doon its good to see all the diverse posts as it opens the eyes to what can be done and peoples experiences