Training aids - useful or waste of money! What works or not for you?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never tried a training aid. Have always gone by the theory that most training aids cost the same as at least 1 and sometimes 2 or 3 lessons so would rather use the money on that unless it comes with a truely glowing endorsement (and to be honest I have never heard of one that is the Panacea for any problem)

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
Re: Training aids - useful or waste of money! What works or not for yo

Second that, GB72 - most appear to be echoes of what a pro should sell you by means of a lesson, or two. The only one I have ever had a go with was the Explanar but that costs an arm and a leg and also needs to be set up properly for you - here's where the pro comes in again.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site

GB72,

see my post on the proliner topic. Yes, the cost of a couple of lessons, but I go back to it all the time. Idiot proof!

stevo

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Not used any aids yet but have had some lessons, which i feel is better value for money.. :cool:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I disagree. It is fine to have a lesson and get the fundamentals sorted but it is another to then get them repeated over time especially if practice time is in short supply.

The eyeliner putting aid I have described elsewhere tonight really does help with alignment but more importantly grooves a nice straight action. Muscle memory only becomes permanent after hours of repetition and by using this for 30 minutes a day I am finally beginning to find a repeatable grooved putting style.

The proliner alignment is a bit of a punt but for £20 (the cost of a takeaway and a couple of beers it seems like a decent investment. I am with J_F on this one and the imprtance of a good ball position and stance cannot be underestimated. If you are in the wrong position before you start you will never make good contact regularly.

I am not one of those who buys every conceivable aid going. These represent the only two I have purchased and when you bear in mind putting is 50% of the game it makes sense to try and be the best putter you can be

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Lessons all the time althought I havent had a lesson since I was a junior. All these aids are a total waste of money Someone somewhere is getting richer because people think that if they use this item it will turn their game round. Not in a million years. Practise makes for good golf.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

I have a Medicus dual hinged five iron. It is useless as a training aid, but great fun to mess about with.

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I have a Leadbetter SwingSetter which I am not sure about. I also have a heavy 1.4kg training club which has been a help with muscle memory and was helping me to hit a bit harder.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

My training aids are simple and relatively cheap and can't be that bad as in the case of the Eyeline putting aid it was the pro who introduced me to it when we had a putting lesson. If he is going to use a tool as a training aid he has to think there is some merit in it.

The proliner alignment aid isn't just a get rich scheme for someone. Ok I grant you in costs of materials etc £20 is high but it is still a cheap and efficient aid that can be adjusted for each club and ensures I stand correctly aligned and with the ball in the correct position.

You can have as many lessons as you want, but if you can't get the basics right (alignment, grip posture and ball position) you can swing like Woods and still play badly

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site

What's wrong with the swing setter.

I don't know the answer to this, but I've heard some bad reviews on it's effectiveness. I know two lads off 6 that were bought two by their dad for Xmas. They showed their pro and he went doolally! Apparently, the clicking ball thing does some weird business?

I've always wanted one, as I have a speed stick....but a.t.m. I'm holding back....

Anyone know?