Tracking your stats

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Do many of you track your stats when you play golf?
If so which method do you use, which stats do you keep? And has it helped your golf game and lowered your handicap?

Personally the only 'stat' I keep is the score so interested to see which stats people keep and what their handicaps are?.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Do many of you track your stats when you play golf?
If so which method do you use, which stats do you keep? And has it helped your golf game and lowered your handicap?

Personally the only 'stat' I keep is the score so interested to see which stats people keep and what their handicaps are?.

I track putts, front and back nine and how many blobs. Also gross and nett scores.

So far this season the biggest thing I’ve noticed is that my putting has improved as I saw that was clearly the worst part of my game. I’ve also noticed I generally start slowly. Play off 18 but hope that’ll be lower once I land a decent round in a comp.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I'm using a GPS app, I put in my score and often the number of putts taken per hole. This in turn gives you the greens in regulation % at the end by extrapolation. That's about it really.

Separate to that, I put all my rounds at my home course into Excel (just scores for each hole, and number of points). So I can see how I've done over time, whether I've improved or got worse at any particular hole which might make me rethink how I play it, and that sort of thing. If I'm being honest I largely just do this out of boredom at work.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I use game golf and it has helped with some things I need to work on for instance I lose 8.4 strokes inside 50y it is quite good to see where you need to improve, I also use 18 birdies mostly as a score card and I punch in putts and gir ect keeps the data to look back on in my phone just like game golf, try some free apps you might be impressed

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I bought Shot scope 2 last week but sadly the connection between the tags and watch has not worked properly but they are in the process of replacing the watch,so fingers crossed. The watch is really good as a GPS watch though. The range of stats it offers is impressive (so long as I can get it to work)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I did use Game Golf for a while and that provided some great stats. Shame the unit broke as did far too many tags. I use Scoresaver2 which I think is now a free download. Does the job to a point but doesn't do things like strokes gained which I'd like to have. Not a fan of using my phone during a round. Waiting to see the next incarnation of Game Golf and may go for that

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use the IG facility to add stats to rounds. Nothing fancy just keeps track of Fairways Hit, Greens in Reg and Putts, on top of everything else it tracks with the scorecard.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Good to hear about the different ways you guys keep stats, but would any of you say keeping the stats has had a positive effect on your game and getting your handicap down significantly?

I'd be really interested to see which stats are kept by which category of handicap golfer and if there is any sort of pattern?

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Good to hear about the different ways you guys keep stats, but would any of you say keeping the stats has had a positive effect on your game and getting your handicap down significantly?

I'd be really interested to see which stats are kept by which category of handicap golfer and if there is any sort of pattern?

ie. Cat1 golfers spend the most time keeping stats up to cat4 golfers keeping less stats etc.

D

Deleted member 1147

I used to keep full stats, fw, gir, ppgir etc. But now I keep more simple stats. Score on each hole and how I’m averaging.
I feel this lets me consider how I’m doing on each hole. That way I can see if certain holes are letting me down.
I can then look at how I approach those holes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I tend to look at patterns emerging, on good/bad holes and in general and also send them to my pro before a lesson so we can decide where the weakness are and look at what I'm doing and why. I'd like to get back to getting strokes gained/lost as I think it can add more to the numbers. Not sure it's helped the handicap per se, but definitely helps with game plans for holes and for tuition.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As someone who floats between Cat 2 & 3, I find Stats interesting but nothing more. Far to many variables in my game to worry about serious statistical analysis.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I write down Fairways hit, no. of putts and kind of short game shots used (if any) (pitch, chip, bunker, texas wedge), because those are the infos needed for the online stats tool I use. It is provided by the same platform that does the official tournament score and handicap calculations, which is quite comfy, because that way your rounds with scores are already automatically uploaded for all comp rounds and you can just provide the additional data. For social rounds you can add the complete scorecard yourself. You are also asked to add your average drive length for the round (which I can only very roughly guestimate)

The tool does track all the usual stats: Fairways hit, GIR, no. of putts etc. but also analyzes them to give you a rating on how well you performed in a certain area of your game compared to other players in your handicap category (or to other categories if you so wish). Like with most stats tools, it works pretty well for the better player, but for higher handicaps, it is very unreliable, because it has no way of knowing what happened after your tee shot on the way to the green. And, at least for me, quite a lot happens during that stretch :eek:

I have a fittng for the Cobra F8 irons on Saturday, so if I like them, I might change to the Cobra Connect/Arccos system in the future for tracking my rounds. Not really sold on that one either yet, though, because it requires you to carry your phone in your front pocket. Ever tried to put a smart phone in a front pocket of ladies golf trousers? I didn't think so ... Maybe I can go for the cargo outfit :D