Touring Ireland

OneEyeRon

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm after recommendations for courses in Ireland which would form part of a 4 round / 3 night tour.

Thanks in advance!

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Donegal area is hard to beat and if you do it right isn’t as sore on the pocket as other parts!

Two courses at Ballyliffin, two courses at Rosapenna, Portsalon, Narin & Portnoo, Co Donegal are the pick of the bunch and you also have Dunfanaghy, North West & Cruit Island which are all worth a visit!

All within an hour or so of each other!

And you are also not too far away from Portrush & Portstewart!

Fly into Derry and hire car or ferry to Belfast/Larne!

If you want any other advice on the area give me a shout!

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It depends where you are coming from and if you want to be in a certain area of Ireland.

As smange has said, Donegal is unreal. So many great courses to choose from in close proximity.

As well as Donegal you have the East Coast just outside Dublin. You have The Island, Portmarnock (Old Course and Hotel), The European, Seapoint, Laytown and Bettystown, Baltray, St Annes, Corballis. All varying quality, cost and distance from Dublin.

As well as this, you are not too far away from RCD and Ardglass.

The other obvious area is the west coast to play the likes of Doonbeg, Lahinch, etc etc

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Get yourself over to Letterkenny. Stay there and then drive to each course on a different day, there are plenty to chose from, some of which have been mentioned already in this thread.

You cant go wrong.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Donegal courses mentioned above are brilliant and what I played on my last visit.
The only caveat I would have is that late or early season the weather further South is meant to be a bit more reliable.

D

Deleted Member 1156

SW Ireland and Dublin area is eyewateringly expensive (200+ euro per round). Sligo/Donegal offers great courses and much better value.

gojrno1

Hacker
Visit site
I played in the County Laois Golf Challenge a few years ago, a number of decent courses in the area and fairly close to each other including Mountrath, Rathdowney, Portarlington, The Heath, Abbeyleix, Portlaoise and The Heritage (a Seve designed course).

D

Deleted Member 1156

Google Donegal links classic, it might fit your requirement 👍

D

Deleted member 21258

I came across this :-

https://www.thegolfpa.com/ireland-amateur-tournaments-atlantic-coast-golf-challenge

As D4S mentioned above alot of Ireland are eye watering for the top courses(greens fee, food and drink is yeek at the clubs 7-8 euros for a pint of diet coke or 13 euros for burger/chips). Some of the top courses do twilight deals(like mount Juliet & doonbeg) and Tralee still does opens at 'normal' prices, all shown on their websites. Our trip cost us quite a lot of money, including ferry, diesel, drink, food, cheap accommodation and golf courses.

Otherwise I know nothing about Ireland, but there is great scenery and a lot of bungalows.

Enjoy your trip.

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
I played in the County Laois Golf Challenge a few years ago, a number of decent courses in the area and fairly close to each other including Mountrath, Rathdowney, Portarlington, The Heath, Abbeyleix, Portlaoise and The Heritage (a Seve designed course).
Another recommendation for the parkland courses around Laois. If there's a group of you, ring the Pro as you'll get great deals for cash. We played Rathdowney, Mountrath and The Heath all for about 25 euros each.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another recommendation for the parkland courses around Laois. If there's a group of you, ring the Pro as you'll get great deals for cash. We played Rathdowney, Mountrath and The Heath all for about 25 euros each.

No disrespect but I don’t know why anyone would come from the “mainland” to play parkland courses!!

Ireland and in particular the west coast has some of the finest links courses you’ll play with some of the biggest dunes you’ll see on a golf course! The east coast tends to be a bit less dramatic and more like UK links, I’m not saying they aren’t great golf courses but if you planning a trip over here I’d highly recommend playing courses on “the wild Atlantic way”

Some fantastic golf courses and some stunning scenery on land that is as rugged as you’ll get!!

D

Deleted member 17920

Donegal area is hard to beat and if you do it right isn’t as sore on the pocket as other parts!

Two courses at Ballyliffin, two courses at Rosapenna, Portsalon, Narin & Portnoo, Co Donegal are the pick of the bunch and you also have Dunfanaghy, North West & Cruit Island which are all worth a visit!

All within an hour or so of each other!

And you are also not too far away from Portrush & Portstewart!

Fly into Derry and hire car or ferry to Belfast/Larne!

If you want any other advice on the area give me a shout!
This

He knows what he is talking about 😉

Ballyliffin is 👌

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Only played two courses in Ireland and they were on the recommendations of lads on here. Mainly because we were flying to knock airport. ( stayed at Ballina) I chose Carne and Enniscrone. They were stunning, however am led to believe there are better. If thats the case am deffo going back. Played links in the UK. Goswick, seacroft, St Andrew and quite frankly i thought they were boring and featureless. Played those two in Ireland and was blown away. Simply simply stunning. Wherever you end up. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Last edited:
Visit site
Only played two courses in Ireland and they were on the recommendations of lads on here. Mainly because we were flying to knock airport. ( stayed at Ballina) I chose Carne and Enniscrone. They were stunning, however am led to believe there are better. If thats the case am deffo going back. Played links in the UK. Goswick, seacroft, St Andrew and quite frankly i thought they were boring and featureless. Played those two in Ireland and was blown away. Simply simply stunning. Wherever you end up. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Looks like I may be playing at carne in june - any tips?

Tashyboy

Visit site
It’s gorgeous, am sure on a good day you can see New York Coz that’s the next bit of land. When I went it was gorgeous with maybe a 15-20 mph wind. It was Brutal ?.
Take plenty of balls. Not sure where you are staying but it is a bit of a trek to get to, but well well worth it. Isis T took some lovely photos of me with the North atlantic rollers in the background.
Ps, we had a buggy. I would recommend one. ?

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Haven’t played Carne yet but we are booked in for a two day comp over the 27 holes in July that is great value including a practice round and 3 nights accommodation!

Can’t help with playing advice on Carne but if you plan on playing any other courses on the west coast from Carne up just shout! It’s a spectacular coastline with many fantastic golf courses!!

Tashyboy

Visit site
Haven’t played Carne yet but we are booked in for a two day comp over the 27 holes in July that is great value including a practice round and 3 nights accommodation!

Can’t help with playing advice on Carne but if you plan on playing any other courses on the west coast from Carne up just shout! It’s a spectacular coastline with many fantastic golf courses!!

Smange have you played enniscrone. I did a post a year or two ago saying I thought some of the courses in Ireland were far superior to some in the UK and was roundly told that was not the case. ?

Visit site
Flying into Knock and 2 of us wil travel straight to carne then onto westport to meet a big group of friends over to celebrate our 40ths. Reading the reviews and posts it seems the opportunity to experience carne given it's not ridiculously out of the way is something we shouldn't pass up

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Smange have you played enniscrone. I did a post a year or two ago saying I thought some of the courses in Ireland were far superior to some in the UK and was roundly told that was not the case. ?

I have played Enniscrone a few times mate, cracking golf course!!

The North and West coast of Ireland has some of the finest links courses in the world and for me better than the UK ones that I have played but like every course ratings on the planet it’s about personal opinion!!

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

This is an absolutely cracking deal they posted.

I am seriously tempted but don't think i am going to make it this year. Hope they repeat it next year as it is probably the best deal I have seen about