Toughest course?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes, but it's not getting any easier, anytime you fancy your chances playing an old chomper , just give me a Bell/ shill.:p

Always get lost on the way there, no idea why cos I have played it loads of times and there is nothing worse than running late and getting to that first tee with a minute to spare

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ah the gabby Cabby, good guy and sadly missed on here.

Not sure it would be a free ride home as he strikes me as the sort of chap who is always on the clock, bit like yourself old bhoy, give you a shout when the weather picks up because right now Links golf I key.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I enjoyed tilgate forest the few times I’ve played it.
Don’t think I’ve hit anything longer than 5iron on every hole given its nearly all dog legs
One of the things that makes Tilgate deceptively hard is that due to the high trees that border these dog legs, you don't ever seem to get closer than 140 yards to the pin for your approach. So big hitters don't get much advantage. But the biggest issue at Tilgate is that you basically have to hit 18 straight tee shots. As soon as you go in the trees, you're in big trouble.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Spey Valley for me.... just too tough, didn’t help that I choose to carry instead of taking a buggy! Think I was knackered by the turn... Stunning scenery though! 👍

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
O’Connor course at amendoeira. Technically it should have been easier than the Faldo but I just didn’t get on with it at all.

Strange someone saying Hankley, I found it easy...

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nicklaus Course at St Mellion
definitely up there, chewed me up and spat me out and I felt I played pretty well and loved every moment. Must go back.

BeauDes is up there too when the rough & heather is up - have to be able to shape it off the champ tees (still not overly long though) and the greens can be almost unplayable if you miss in the wrong spot.

Didn't find Burnham or St.Enodoc toooo bad but never played from the tips and always in fairly benign conditions. Good solid tests though.

Perranporth was just mental but great. Would earn your handicap around there!

4LEX

Visit site
Rye just needs a bit of practice - like the member who played 100 holes in a day! It's tough enough when it's dead calm, but 'brutal' is the correct word in anything more than gentle!

You can get off to a decent start in fairness and there is a birdie or two to be made. I ripped the driver all day and was still going into the medium/long par 4's with hybrids! Bloody loved it though!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
definitely up there, chewed me up and spat me out and I felt I played pretty well and loved every moment. Must go back.

BeauDes is up there too when the rough & heather is up - have to be able to shape it off the champ tees (still not overly long though) and the greens can be almost unplayable if you miss in the wrong spot.

Didn't find Burnham or St.Enodoc toooo bad but never played from the tips and always in fairly benign conditions. Good solid tests though.

Perranporth was just mental but great. Would earn your handicap around there!
Great point about handicaps. I'm sure if you were a member at some of these courses, your handicap has to travel well and at least give you a fighting chance elsewhere. I would go far as to even suggest that if you were say 10 on these harder courses you'd be 8-9 at the others without too much trouble

brfcfan

Visit site
Definitely St Enodoc for me, played it half a dozen times and still not got 30 points, in the wind and on a calm day.

Best course I have played in the UK, will shoot my handicap one day!