Tough school

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the problems with the new system that has been noticed at our club is not simply that high handicappers are able to get outrageous scores - it's that they're not being cut adequately afterwards. In the old system if somebody shot 50 points you'd at least know he was getting cut 5 or 6 shots. But in the new system I've heard of people winning by big scores and only getting cut 1 shot or something. ?

RichA

Visit site
Couple of weeks ago a new golfer at ours was cut from 27 to 11.7 overnight, so it does happen.
I was cut by 5 last week.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He only has 4 other scores & all of those are 100+ so this has become his single card for H/cap.
Last week we had a guy off 24 play to 9. Next day he was off 7 & submitting lots of Casual cards that were coming in at about 13 or 14.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It should be remembered that high handicaps are nothing to do with the WHS.

Maximum handicap of 54 was brought in several years ago.

If it what was the old system he would still be playing off about 24 in the next comp.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of the problems with the new system that has been noticed at our club is not simply that high handicappers are able to get outrageous scores - it's that they're not being cut adequately afterwards. In the old system if somebody shot 50 points you'd at least know he was getting cut 5 or 6 shots. But in the new system I've heard of people winning by big scores and only getting cut 1 shot or something. ?
It seems unlikely, to see only a small drop you’d need to have 1 exceptional score replacing another. You are also going to see an ESR reduction kick in immediately.

Last year I scored the equivalent of 48pts off 13 (12.6) dropping to 10 (9.9)
From the EG app my CH would have dropped from 13 (HI 12.0) to 9 (HI 8.1)

For me the cuts are comparable and if anything a bit more severe under WHS for a big score.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

A lot depends on what sort of score is being replaced in your 8/20. If it is a good score being replaced, then adding another good score doesn't have much effect.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fantastic new system. :rolleyes: Remind me what the huge issue was that this system was going to resolve? :unsure:

If a scratch player turned up at for an afternoon tee time ours knowing that he had to shoot 56 gross to have a chance in a competition I wouldn't blame him for having a moan, I'd support him.
Same thing happened in the old system, however there's something seriously wrong if that happens in Div 1. :eek::eek:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Fantastic new system. :rolleyes: Remind me what the huge issue was that this system was going to resolve? :unsure:

If a scratch player turned up at for an afternoon tee time ours knowing that he had to shoot 56 gross to have a chance in a competition I wouldn't blame him for having a moan, I'd support him.

The same could be said for a steady 15 handicapper, 56 gross is an exception from a player whose handicap has improved rapidly and (I suspect) they've not submitted scores regularly enough to show the improvement.

It's a good argument for placing a handicap maximum on major club competitions in order to stop the 40+ handicapper who is likely to rapidly improve and have a non-reflective handicap from posting a silly score and making a mockery of the handicap system. (By handicap system I mean that which allows all competitors to have an equal chance)

General club competitions can have handicap divisions, and I've always been in favour of a prize for lowest gross.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The same could be said for a steady 15 handicapper, 56 gross is an exception from a player whose handicap has improved rapidly and (I suspect) they've not submitted scores regularly enough to show the improvement.

It's a good argument for placing a handicap maximum on major club competitions in order to stop the 40+ handicapper who is likely to rapidly improve and have a non-reflective handicap from posting a silly score and making a mockery of the handicap system. (By handicap system I mean that which allows all competitors to have an equal chance)

General club competitions can have handicap divisions, and I've always been in favour of a prize for lowest gross.

There's a good argument for if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

gucking_folf

Visit site
Ah yes, the Army Golf club, I was in the Saturday stableford, scored 37 (10.6) and came 6th.

I was cut from 10.6 to 6.9, just need to get some more rounds in this year and get back to around 8-9 where my game currently is, but 50 points is taking the mick!

gopher99

Visit site
Playing off 29 and if you have a really good day and shoot 50 points, you would be playing to a 14 or 15 handicap which isnt too bad when you look at it. I guess that’s why they have comps where the max handicaps are scratch or better for the lower handicap golfers. I used to play in meat comps in South Africa where it used to be 2ball better ball scoring and 50 points wouldn’t even get you a look in, I swear most of the people playing used to ride in on horses.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The last para is what we have.... works well.

Chambers2289

Visit site
I shot 41 points today, and even as I knocked my putt in for par on the 18th, I could sense that it wasn’t going to be enough, lo and behold, there was already a 43 pointer in. :rolleyes: